Respected Contributor

Some posters are suggesting to sell on eBay, and that is certainly an option. But I studied eBay for several weeks before I decided to sell for scrap. Many pieces are listed at an expensive price, but day after day after day, they never sold. So just because something is listed on eBay for a certain price doesn't mean that it is selling at that price if at all.

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg 

Good point.  Someone suggested I check the actual price when something sold when I mentioned I had seen a Rae Dunn cookie jar I had purchased at a $150.00 selling price.

It was cute, but maybe $30?  Rae Dunn was wildly popular at one time, but not so sure now.

Anyway, those asking prices are likely not the price paid.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

My sister and I sold our mom and grandmothers Sterling flatware sets, for scrap, in 2017.  We also sold all other Sterling misc. pieces.

I sold my set of silver plated flatware at a local co sign ment store about 2 years ago. It sold in less than 1 day. 

@gidgetgh  I didn't know that silverplate had any value. My Mom had some bowls and platters that are silverplate. Maybe I should look into selling it.

@drizzellla - my silver plated flatware sold for $100.  Ouch. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Valued Contributor

Someone on these boards recommended usgoldbuyers.com. They supply a prepaid label for Fedex. I am in the process of putting together gold and silver now to sell. Not my flatware however. I have a set of sterling we kept in a box for years. We decided to use it. Why not. My local jeweler was not interested in my gold jewelry. 

Respected Contributor

Every year at Christmas I think that I am going to get my silver flatware out, polish it and set the table with it. I haven't done this in 7 years. Maybe this year. 

Honored Contributor

Replacements buys according to demand.  If they have a warehouse full of certain items, you will get low-balled.  Something rare?  I once got $80.00 each for some Tiffin stems.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for this thread! I am so glad to know that I am not the only one with a wooden box containing my mom's beloved silverware on the floor of a closet. 

My mom bought it as an investment in 1980 when the Hunt brothers drove the price of silver sky-high. And here we are. Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

I have 8 placesettings of my Mothers Queens Lace by International, I have used it once but would never sell it

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

Re: Silver flatware

[ Edited ]

Replacements gives the lowest price for anything they buy. I would definitely look for another source.