Honored Contributor

Do you all do anything in preparation for Halloween besides buy candy and decorate?  I worry a little bit about vandalism.  I will bring my wreath inside for one thing.  It's just sitting on a bench on my front porch.  I also will not put my trash cans out until the next morning.  I usually take them out for trash day the night before, which will be Halloween.  One last thing I will do is keep my dog on a leash when I answer the door.  She normally wouldn't go beyond my front porch, but if she sees children walking around I think she might run to them.  

I hope I'm not just being paranoid, but I'd rather do that than be sorry that I didn't.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Smart precautions but I do NOTHING.  "H" was never my thing - have fun kiddies.

Honored Contributor

I’m too far out to be concerned with anything but vandalism on Halloween.   

I hated driving to work for 11-7 shift on Halloween night.  My windshield was cracked by a thrown rock, and I barely managed to avoid a pumpkin tossed off the overhead bridge.  My mailbox is virtually indestructible, but if my daughters are here on Halloween, they park behind the house, instead of the driveway to avoid egging, paintballs, BB’s, etc.  

Contributor

Love decorating for Halloween, hate the trick or treating at the door. Our dog goes balastic with strangers and barks up a storm. We have a storm door that the top portion of the glass comes out so we remove it and keep the door locked so he can't get near the kids.  As the night wares on some of them the kids are so big you would swear they were old enough to drive!

Esteemed Contributor

Where I live now I don't worry.

Previous home: the 30th was mischief night. I left every light on indoors and out until midnight.

First house: boys came right up to my doorstep , stole my intricately carved and candle lit pumpkin and smashed it in the middle of the street on H'ween night. Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

We decorate. We rarely have kids come to the door as our small road has no sidewalk or place to park a car. Fine with us. We did get new neighbors after 35 years and I think they have  one or two younger kids so maybe they will come.

Esteemed Contributor

@DenS I quit the candy part for same reasons..........dog would go nuts and afraid some kid would cause a nasty reaction from dog ..and my husband's health was not the best and I always caught a cold handing out treats.......dinner was interrupted = or no dinner.  I said - enough of this s****.  Turn out the porch light and make a drink in silence & watch the news.  Wonderful now

Respected Contributor

We live in a gated 55 and over community. So no worries about trick or treaters. 

Honored Contributor

I've never lived in an area where there was any vandalism or crazy stuff Halloween.  I've seen it in sitcoms but never experienced it.  Decorating and candy are the extent of my Halloween activities.  I do miss kids trick or treating.  We had to keep the dog inside because if we didn't, he'd follow the trick or treaters around town.  He'd follow any kids, he didn't care that they weren't his kids.     It was bigger for us when we had kids in the house and lived in our old home.  My decorations were more Fall than Halloween, they stayed up through Thanksgiving.  Now we are in a condo so there's no outside decorating.  We aren't allowed to decorate our balconies for Halloween or any holiday except for Christmas.  

Honored Contributor

In my neck of the woods, "Mystery Night" is still the night before Holloweenie.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif