Honored Contributor

Gift Return Issues At A Store

Please remind those that need to take items back to a store, that the refund should go back on a gift card to them, not returned to the purchaser.

With many young people in the work force, it is unlikely that they would think of a gift card.  I "lost" a gift that way but the store associate was an adult.

Honored Contributor

Re: Gift Return Issues At A Store

That's an interesting point.  How does the store know to refund the giver / purchaser or the recipient / holder of the merchandise?  I never thought about that but it must happen all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

Please remind those that need to take items back to a store, that the refund should go back on a gift card to them, not returned to the purchaser.

With many young people in the work force, it is unlikely that they would think of a gift card.  I "lost" a gift that way but the store associate was an adult.

@ECBG   It is also important to give a gift receipt with the gift.  If the return is on sale after the initial purchase and there is no receipt, the person will only receive the sale price.

Chances are if there is no receipt the person would receive a gift card anyway.  There would be no way to credit the cc of the person who bought the gift.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I'm thinking the store would rather hand out a gift card instead of cash.  Then you would spend the money with them, not just anywhere.  Also, with a gift card you wouldn't necessarily have to tell the giver that you took the item back.

Honored Contributor

Huh????  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

That's an interesting point.  How does the store know to refund the giver / purchaser or the recipient / holder of the merchandise?  I never thought about that but it must happen all the time. 

@ValuSkr @chrystaltree 

Less experienced associates have done returns before to the original buyer, but they rarely have a gift that needs to be returned.  It's a different button to use to give the refund to the person to whom the gift was GIVEN than the owner of the card and it has to be put on a gift card, not the original payment or the person loses the gift.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr @chrystaltree 

Less experienced associates have done returns before to the original buyer, but they rarely have a gift that needs to be returned.  It's a different button to use to give the refund to the person to whom the gift was GIVEN than the owner of the card and it has to be put on a gift card, not the original payment or the person loses the gift.

@ECBG   Do you mean the original buyer made the return or do you mean the original buyer's cc received a credit??

Without a receipt the person who received the gift would only receive a store credit.

If the buyer returned the item with a receipt, they would receive the refund in the manner the item was purchase-store cc, bank cc, cash.

I don't see how the original buyer could receive a credit unless he/she actually brought the item in to be returned.

I'm so confused.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

@ValuSkr @chrystaltree 

@ECBG   Do you mean the original buyer made the return or do you mean the original buyer's cc received a credit??

Without a receipt the person who received the gift would only receive a store credit.

If the buyer returned the item with a receipt, they would receive the refund in the manner the item was purchase-store cc, bank cc, cash.

I don't see how the original buyer could receive a credit unless he/she actually brought the item in to be returned.

I'm so confused.  LOL

@Cakers3  I don't get this either.  If someone bought me a gift and I returned it, all I say is that I can't find my receipt and I'm given a gift card. I won't say "Sally bought this for me" and have it return to her Card. Also what if the buyer paid cash for the gift there is no way to return the credit to the buyer.

Most Stores are happy to give you a Store gift Card because they know you can only use it at that Store.

Esteemed Contributor

The only problem I see is if you don't have the gift receipt and the item goes on sale, it will be returned at the sale price.

Honored Contributor

I rarely understand the OP's posts.  

If I have a gift to return, I tell the person handling the transaction that I have a gift to return.  The associate will refund me in the form of a store credit.  The return amount does not go back to the original method of payment.  If there is no gift receipt, I would get the current selling price of the item.  

What that has to do with the age of the sales associate, I have no idea.