Super Contributor

Does anyone have any idea why it is so important to be designated as "friend"?   So many  hosts introduce a vendor as "my friend" ... and not only on shopping channels.  I just wondered if this is an attempt to influence someone, although I can't imagine who or why or how.   I wonder about a lot of things and this is one.  Any ideas?

Honored Contributor

It seems that some of them have actually become friends over the years.  Not so unusual since they are in similar fields.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

What else would you call them?  Friend is a pleasant term.

Respected Contributor

Having friends means your well-liked.  That's important.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Respected Contributor

Just today I realized how many things people get all concerned about.  I'm thinking people need to occupy their brains with something of value.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Super Contributor

For example?

Honored Contributor

@excpa wrote:

Does anyone have any idea why it is so important to be designated as "friend"?   So many  hosts introduce a vendor as "my friend" ... and not only on shopping channels.  I just wondered if this is an attempt to influence someone, although I can't imagine who or why or how.   I wonder about a lot of things and this is one.  Any ideas?

Dan Hughes is the only host I hear say that consistently.  It sounds really phony to have all the vendors as dear, long-lost friends.  He's not my favorite host.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I think when they use that word they are not even thinking about the true meaning of it!  It just pops into their head and right out again!!

Esteemed Contributor

I think it is just what people do now...look at the people on Facebook who "friend" people they don't even know....LOL