Honored Contributor

I have to agree with @Anonymous032819 , now you know why SIL flipped out about you being the executor of Dad's estate.

Surely, they didn't want you to know how much they were taking advantage of Dad and his money, just prior to his death, when he wasn't mentally stable.

Shame on them.....

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@hyacinth003 , that Bank Acc is also a part of the estate. From what I know that amount should be deducted from your brother´s share of the estate. I would look for any substantial amount and make a note of it and that also includes any substantial amount you got from your dad.

Don´t know if the laws have changed concerning this. 

@Sage04 

Yes, the account belongs to the estate.  I don't think they should touch it from the time of his passing on.  I am using it for the estate only.  Until his 2019 taxes are filed, I don't think I can close it and disburse it.

I got no substantial amounts from my dad in the time this account was established or any time for some years.  I also found a $900 charge for T-Mobile.  They will just say he told them to do it.  How can one prove differently now?

As an RN, I have no doubt he was not competent mentally.  It was a great challenge to me trying to help with his care.  The staff at the assisted living was also quite aware of it also.  We were in the process of finding a skilled nursing facility (nursing home) as his level of care had increased.

I am just numb and feel so bad that they would possibly have taken advantage of his weakness to do this.  I never asked about gasoline money or anything else we did for him.  I just feel awful this morning.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I have to agree with @Anonymous032819 , now you know why SIL flipped out about you being the executor of Dad's estate.

Surely, they didn't want you to know how much they were taking advantage of Dad and his money, just prior to his death, when he wasn't mentally stable.

Shame on them.....

@KingstonsMom 

Maybe that's it.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

In the ongoing saga of my father's passing, I have just found out something else.

I have access to one of his accounts, a checking account.  I am writing checks to pay bills, and monitoring it for credits and debits that were set up automatically.  I have been notifying those who he did business with that he has passed away.

For example, the company he got a pension from (to stop it), his insurance company (to cancel his policies), find out how to file claims on policies that may owe his estate, etc.

FYI, Social Security gets notified right away by whoever handles burial or cremation.  They had posted a payment and took it away within about 24 hours!!

The account has some checks I cannot account for.  My dad had 4 people on his account so we could all pay for his needs or shop, etc.  So before I asked my brother and sister-in-law about them, I decided to go and look back for them.

What I have found out is they were using his account for all of their gasoline purchases.  I never asked for anything like this.  Then I got what is a shocker to me.  I found an almost $14,000.00 check written by my sister-in-law to a bank, with a notation on the check "Corvette."  My brother got a new Corvette around Christmas, 2018.  I was happy for him and have consistently showed interest and asked for photos, etc.  I remember my sister-in-law saying "I just paid off the Corvette."  She is an electrician and works a lot when work is available and they have no debt (to my limited knowledge).  She drives a Cadillac Escalade.  I don't care what anyone has, especially my own brother.  I am happy if he is living well.  I love him.

She wrote this check in July, 2019.  My father was a generous person, especially to us.  My shock comes as my dad was not mentally competent in the last months of his life.  I would have felt uncomfortable asking him for money in the last 6 months.  Maybe in a dire emergency, but not for a Corvette.  Over our lives, my dad helped me financially at times, and I assumed he helped my brother.  I never asked, and don't know.  It was his to give.

I am totally surprised by seeing this.

Hyacinth

went thru a similar thing,  I totally understand 

2 minutes away from going to court, on it, decided not to

money does things to people who can take advantage.

Honored Contributor

Wow, now you know why your dad did not put your brother as executor.  No wonder your sil was so upset.  They knew you would eventually find the theft.  So sad.

@hyacinth003 

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 

I'm sure you're right that there's nothing you can do about this money now,  there's no way to prove that it wasn't a gift to them.

It's truly heartbreaking when someone you love shatters your faith in them as a good, moral human being, I've been through that too.

Buckle up, there may be more to discover as you wade though everything in Dad's estate, but for your sake, I hope not.

Best wishes to you!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Finding out things

[ Edited ]

They took advantage of your dad, brother and sister in law,TALK TO YOUR LAWYER, cover your back.It isn't just your sil, this is your brother,  he is responsible.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Are you sure you should be using his existing account?

My mother had to set up an estate account.  She could no longer use the account that he had even though she was a signer on the account.  Once my uncle passed, that account was frozen and she no longer had the authority to write checks on it.

I'm sorry you found this information out and I am sure there is more.

I agree with taking the high road, even though it's tough.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

One interesting situation my mother came across was from some f my uncle's doctors.  Once she notified them of his passing, she started getting medicare claims from several years ago.

My mother called medicare and they told her that there is a statute of limitations on claims and that she should not pay any new claims for services more than 24 months old.

All of my uncle's medical bills were current at the time of his passing, so these new bills were basically re-bills for things medicare does not cover and the patient is not responsible for.

It was pretty shady and I think some doctors know that executors don't check and just pay all the bills and they hope nobody notices.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

Since you have no idea what conversations or arragnements your father had with your brother and sister-in-law why would you slander them on the Internet.  If you feel criminal activity took place and can prove it take it to the authorities, otherwise perform the task you were given. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.