Trusted Contributor

Re: Finding a grammatical error in something that you've posted.

@Kachina624: Thank you for explaining that to me!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

Does it bother you if you make a simple mistake in something you write? 

@J Town Girl

It bothers me so much that I'll go back and correct a comma placement!  I'm "one of those."  Smiley Surprised

Mistakes made by others on a chat board don't bother me (too much lol), but consistent mistakes in a book or a news article, and it could be time for a letter to the editor!  

@MacDUFF  I'm the same way.  I bet at least half of my posts are edited.  I have this spell check on my virtual keyboard that thinks it's smarter than I and "corrects" all of my already correct text. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to blame most of my errors on Autocorrect.  For instance the first word of my first sentence corrected to "I'mean". ???

I do own some of my errors to the fact that I am often multi-tasking, i.e., on hold on the phone, etc.  I try to proof, but sometimes time is a factor and rather than not posting, I hit Submit.  Then if I go back to read and catch a typo, I will always take the time to correct.  I think it shows a lack of respect to knowingly post such errors.

There are some women who profess to be highly-educated who seemingly cannot create a readable post, it is so infused with words that make absolutely no sense.  Geez, if you can't do better on you iphone, perhaps you might consider reverting back to a rotary phone and a pc.  😕

Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, you cannot correct anything in the title of your thread.

Esteemed Contributor

You can correct the title...only the OP...from the OP, the 3 grey dots, edit and the post as well as the title come up and can be corrected.   The problem (not that it's a problem problem lol) is that all replies made before an OP corrects the title will have the error in it.   All replies made after an OP corrects the title will be corrected.  Hope that makes sense!  LOL.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@J Town Girl I hate to reread what I post but I've done it.  I always try to use the spell check but it doesn't fix the grammatical errors.  I know what you mean that's why I TRY to not reread my posts I get so frustrated.

My big frustration is the spell check thing on my phone.  It often totally changes the word I've texted in....I have just been texting my 3 daughters.  They are all over the US right now.  Then I go back and look at what was sent and it sometimes doesn't make any sense.  So frustrating.

If you think I'm long winded here...(it's OK, I know it), sometimes my friends and I are very long winded in our (both or 3 of us) texting together are.  Sometimes going back I'm thinking....I wonder what the hay I was saying...well, they often understand it anyway.

Spell check says "texting" is misspelled!

Ah, stupid autocorrect!  However, Annabelle, I'm always being told by my millenial age nieces and nephews that my texts r way too long - they keep saying "don't u know texts are supposed to be really short"!

Trusted Contributor

@J Town Girl,

I do that all the time, it is like playing chess you do not see it until you move THE piece and you are done for.

The good news is that we can edit our messages once we actually read them. This is also why editors have proof readers, for some reason we are not aware our own mistakes🌻.

Respected Contributor

I constantly do it, in fact it is a routine, and even after I return to my post and edit it, I still have mistakes. I have decided not to take serious the errors but instead live outside reality and blame it on the wine.

Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl

With the novel length of my posts?  Yep, it is a constant with me, and many times the word I mistakenly used, changes something I am against to something I am behind. Oyyy me!!!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)