Honored Contributor

Re: Every Summer Has a Story

My apple cake with lemon sauce was well received at the pot luck supper.  Several people questioned the lemon sauce for it but all I could say was try it and see for yourself.  All who did said it was very good and added to the unique flavor of the cake.  We love it with lemon sauce.  Heart

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

This contains an image of: How to Style a Pretty Fall Basket in 5 Simple Steps

Honored Contributor

Foggy and 43 degrees early this morning.  It's now up to 70 with lots of sun and low humidity.  It's a perfect fall day.  Love it.

The sugar cookies look delicious.  Smiley Happy   (Posted on Pinterest)

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'Good Morning, Beautiful soul!'

Hi my Friends,  I know it's past noon, but thought this was so pretty.   It's cooled off a bit but humid as we had a few showers last night but really need a steady rain.  The big rivers, especially the Mississippi River are running low.  Farmers need to start shipping corn and soybeans downriver soon and may have to ship lighter loads if the rains don't come soon and raise the levels of the river.   

My forsythia bushes are showing wilting signs, leaves are droopy.  The tomatoes and peppers are still producing but I am able to water them as needed.  Need to mince up some habaneros and jalapenos to freeze for winter use.  

My hip is still giving me a fit, the right one mostly, but then my PC has said I have arthritis in both hips and knees.  Last time I went, the first of Sept.  one of his PA's said they could give me the name of a new orthopaedic doctor.   I haven't seen my regular Ortho doctor for over 15 or so years.  I don't even know if he's still practicing.  He was awesome, the Cardinals and Blues had him as one of their doctors for the team members.  I hate to have to start with another new doctor, but may have to sometime down the road.    

Last week we had some really chilly nights and I'd forgotten to turn down the thermostat from 62 into the 50ies, and sure enough, with the windows open, the furnace kicked on.  I couldn't believe it, heating up all of the area.  I wasted no time getting to the thermostat and turning the temps. way down.  Felt so dumb!! and it was dumb of me!!!  😏😵😂

Thank you for the sweet comments about the grands.  They sure keep the rest of us hopping.  😍

Honored Contributor

May be a doodle of text

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'Thu と sday Have a cup of Blessings'

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

@Sassy7356 wrote:

May be an image of text that says '13 CAST IRON SKILLET REASONS TO OWN A и Sabo appiness 1. Used for thousands of years 2. No toxic fumes while you cook 3. Can take high (oven) heat 4. It's non-stick 5. Cleans up easy 6. It's inexpensive 7. Browns food beautifully 8. Better heat distribution 9. Usable as a grill 10. Usable over a campfire 11. Can cook multiple items at once 12. Boosts your iron intake 13. And in a pinch, it can even be used for self defense'

Friends,   Confession time... I've never owned a iron

skilet.  I don't think you wash it or it will rust.  How do

you clean it?  

@Sweet Caroline 1 

Sweet Caroline.  I just read this,  went back to read some posts and try to catch up, never will, but am trying a bit.  

I have many sizes of cast iron skillets and swear by them,  They are all well seasoned and are black from use and seasoning.  They are awesome for fried chicken, fried everything even tender foods like scallops and shrimp which cook in just a few minutes.  

I wash mine now and then with hot soapy water.  Most of the time they can be wiped clean with just paper towels, and they retain their seasoning.  I even have a cast iron dutch oven used for stews, deep frying etc.  I also use non stick skillets for many things, but don't rely on them as much as the cast iron.  Most of mine are from my mom, no telling how old they are.  We did have a cast iron pancake griddle when I was a kid, but somehow Mom broke it. I think cold water while it was still smoking hot!   

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text

Honored Contributor

May be an illustration

Honored Contributor

May be an image of text that says 'Bumblebee queens spend their winter just below ground under leaf litter. In the spring they'll emerge and dig burrow to make a new home and lay their eggs. Protect bumblebees by leaving leaf litter and debris in place unt late spring.'