Honored Contributor

Re: Every Summer Has a Story

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Cute!

My memaw and pepaw had chickens back in the day.  This coop looks familiar.  I don't see any poop.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

Speaking of chicken salad, I just found this from the Blue Jean Chef:  I wouldn

t go to this trouble just for myself except for the celery, though I may try it one day.

• ¼ CUP chopped red onion
  • ¾ CUP walnuts coarsely chopped
  • salt
  • 2 POUNDS chicken breast
  • 3 ribs celery chopped
  • 2 apples diced
  • ½ CUP dried cranberries
  • 2 TABLESPOONS chopped fresh parsley
  • ¾ CUP mayonnaise
  • Juice from ½ lemon
  • 2 TEASPOONS Dijon mustard
  • ½ TEASPOON celery seeds
  • freshly ground black pepper

• Start by preparing your ingredients. Place the diced red onion in a small bowl and cover with cold water. Let it soak for 20 minutes (or longer) to make it less pungent and then drain the water away.
  • Toast the walnuts by tossing them in a dry skillet over medium heat for 5 to 10 minutes or on a sheet pan in the oven at 350ºF for 10 minutes. Set the toasted walnuts aside.
  • Poach the chicken breasts by bringing a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt and add the chicken breasts. Let the water return to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes. Turn the heat off, cover the pot with a lid and let the chicken sit for 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board. Let it cool for 10 minutes, then cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces or shred the chicken with two forks. Place the chicken in a large bowl.
  • Drain the red onion and pat it dry with a clean paper towel. Add the onion to the bowl with the chicken, along with the toasted walnuts, celery, apples, dried cranberries and parsley.
  • Combine the mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and celery seeds in a small bowl. Add the dressing to the bowl and stir to coat everything with the dressing.
  • Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Chill until ready to serve.

@mousiegirl,  I recently changed my recipe to using cranberries instead of grapes because I can't count on the grapes being sour or sweet.  I like dark meat chicken because its more tender and has more flavor.  I don't pick at a whole chicken anymore though.  So I brine the chicken breasts and flavor the cooking water very well then chop fine after chicken cools. I use to taste-  chicken, cranberries, apples, pecans, cerery and mayonnaise.  I also like the traditional version with chicken, onion, celery and bread and butter pickles.  Either way, I won't be late to supper.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

PS  @mousiegirl,  Thank you for the tip on how to tame the onions.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Honey I'm Home! – Packaging Of The World

Hey friends!  Today my sister picked me up and took me to pick up my medicine and to... you know it, Walmart.  I was not on my best behavior by the time we finally got out of there.  That's all that I'm going to say about my behavior but my nerves were fit to be tied.  Poor Junior was at the fence crying when we left.  I left the doggie door open for him so he wouldn't be locked inside.  I greeted him with lots of love when I got home.  Poor fella, he just can't go everywhere with me. 

I'm watching football, Pitt and W Virginia, and trying to get the rest of the steam out of my ears.  I hope that all of you are enjoying your weekend.  Weekend hugs!  Heart

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

@Sassy7356 wrote:

May be an image of ice cream, gelato and text

#4 - Oatmeal Creme Pies

@Sassy7356,  #3 oreo cookies

@Sassy7356   #4

@Sassy7356 #2 no to cookies n cream

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl 

I enjoyed looking through your Christmas decorations pictures that you posted the link for! I love all the woodland creatures. I am specially like the one of a big bear laying down with a bunny, Fox and an owl on its back. It is very different, I've never seen anything like it. 

Honored Contributor

NATIONAL APPLE DUMPLING DAY | September 17

Honored Contributor

CONSTITUTION DAY AND CITIZENSHIP DAY | September 17

Honored Contributor

Positive Sunday Thoughts 😊 #bustmold Stay with us: /915c6a  | Happy sunday quotes, Sunday quotes funny, Sunday humor

Honored Contributor

Autumn Deer Sunday Blessings