Esteemed Contributor

Re: Emergency Binder - does this sound macabre?

Not creepy at all - makes life a bit smoother for those that have to handle things. You might want to include bank information and passwords if needed. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Emergency Binder - does this sound macabre?

I'm single and what you might call an over planner.  I had the multi-document estate info documents drawn up about 20 years ago and given 2 original copies and there is one in my safe and my sister has the other. 

ALSO years ago I did taxes for AARP and one day they had a speaker, a social worker from the local hospital and she had boxes of something called - "File of Life" to hand out.  It was a red pouch with a magnet on the back to stick to your fridge.  Years ago first responders were told to check on fridges bc the info contained in it was exactly what would be needed in an emergency (even more so for those of us that live alone).  Over the years I think no one knows to look for this.

It had emergency POCs, doctors, phone numbers, kinds of meds/dosage you were on, asked if you had a will, medical directive, etc.  It had tiny space to write all that on so when dad could no longer live alone and moved in with me - I typed the whole thing over on a Word document, made a larger red pocket and filled out the info - one for dad and one for me.  Bc it was in Word I could update it as info changed.  Dad was in and out of the hospital a lot his last 6 months of life and had multiple admissions to hospital - I'd print out a copy of it and hand to medical staff.  I can't tell you how many doctors said they wish everyone had this.  This reminds me - dad died years ago, I've moved, gotten a new computer and it that document never transferred to this laptop so I'm gonna redo another for me.