Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think I am crazy!!

@chrystaltree wrote:

Tv has been a part of my world since the day I was born.  I wouldn't want to be without a tv any more than I would want to live life without a car or a dishwasher or phone or a refrigerator.  It's not like owning a tv means I watch it 24/7 and don't do anything else.  Tv has never prevented me from reading or working or conversing with family and friends.  If anything, tv has enriched our lives for the past....what....70 years or so.  I don't imagine there are many people who don't own one and it that works for them, good.  I don't know any of those people.  It's not like owning a tv means you have to spend every waking hour parked in front of it.

@chrystaltree  Yes to everything you wrote!

Respected Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

I haven't had a TV for most of my adult life. 

People who come into my house are always shocked that I don't have one.

While I like having more time to read and not get sucked into watching things I shouldn't, I do find sometimes there are certain things I "miss".  Every so often there will be a conversation with a group of friends or coworkers about a particular show that I am totally clueless about! 

I just got Netflx thinking that would be interesting to see some of these must-see shows that friends discuss.  So far I am not so sure I am keeping it!!

Does anyone else not have a TV and maybe fills similarly ambivalent about getting one?

I have 4 tv's in the house but honestly, tv has become a vast wasteland of c r a p for viewing.  Scrolling through the guide on my cable company, most times we can find absolutely nothing worth watching.  So OP, you're really not missing much at all.

Honored Contributor

@hckynut  Ooohhh! Curved 4k  65 inch TV ....that sounds very nice!  Do you think those curved ones are that much better for viewing? They look great at Costco!

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote: 

I have 4 tv's in the house but honestly, tv has become a vast wasteland of c r a p for viewing.  Scrolling through the guide on my cable company, most times we can find absolutely nothing worth watching.  So OP, you're really not missing much at all.

@Tyak

For me tv is not a wasteland of ******. I DVR every show I want to watch, and there are plenty of them for me. I still feel I learn at least 1 new thing everyday, and that is because of the content, I choose to DVR and watch.

I also have many DVD's that fall in the "to better inform you category". I choose that format because I prefer seeing to reading, or just listening.

For anyone that has any electronic device, such as a DVD Player, or a smart tv. I suggest going to YouTube, and there are so many things one can learn there.

I have never bought into the long standing narrative that those that watch more tv than others,fall into a different social or educational level because they do so.

"To each be their own"

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

@JasoninBoston wrote:

While I like having more time to read and not get sucked into watching things I shouldn't, I do find sometimes there are certain things I "miss".  Every so often there will be a conversation with a group of friends or coworkers about a particular show that I am totally clueless about! 

I just got Netflx thinking that would be interesting to see some of these must-see shows that friends discuss.  So far I am not so sure I am keeping it!!

Does anyone else not have a TV and maybe fills similarly ambivalent about getting one?

There is no way anyone can rightfully call PBS a vast wasteland of dreck.  

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@hckynut  Ooohhh! Curved 4k  65 inch TV ....that sounds very nice!  Do you think those curved ones are that much better for viewing? They look great at Costco!

@SeaMaiden

The only reason I went with the curve was because the model of Samsung I wanted was not made with the choice of flat or curved. The model I bought had more advancements for upgrading it in the future than the other model I was, kinda considering.

As far as the curve? Part depends on how close you sit to it, depending on the size of the screen? Now the model I bought does have Active 3D, which is 1080p, whereas the Passive 3D can only reproduce 720p. This set also changes any 2D programming into 3D if one chooses.

I will say some of the better 1080p broadcast I have watched, do look pretty darned close to 3D and you feel more of the wrap around effect. Now 4k media gives you so much more inward depth it is just amazing. It is really a 3D experience on most I have seen.

We are very happy with this purchase and the more 4k viewing that becomes available will even make it sweeter.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@Trinity11

Are you saying that those of us who don't watch tv are not admitting it because it's "popular"?  Not watching tv hasn't won me any popularity contests and I don't talk about it unless someone asks. Just wanted to check because I maybe misunderstood. Smiley Happy

All I know are my friends who claim it is low brow to watch television. Kind of like they think intelligent people wouldn't be caught dead watching television. Just a lot of what I have encountered over the years.....no comment on what people on these forums do.

Yeah, I totally know what you mean. Some people are obnoxious about not having a tv and that it gives them some kind of intellectual or moral edge. Smiley Happy

I'm so "low brow" that I don't have it in my budget to pay for cable or satellite but it's not to say I won't in the future. 

Esteemed Contributor

My  T.V . is on 24/7....only time i shut it off is when i leave my house...company comes over....or i am on the phone...No, i don't sit and watch it all day and night...but i do like it for company/back ground noise...I admit....I would be lost without it...I actually have four of them...

Honored Contributor

We will often go for several days without turning the TV on but I would not like to be totally without one. We enjoy watching sports on TV - particularly baseball and football, and my DH likes NASCAR.  I enjoy old movies. Not much of what is on TV these days is worth watching though. I know people who even sleep with the TV on. I would absolutely hate having that drone in the background of my life 24 hours a day but some folks like the company.

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

@JasoninBoston wrote:

When I grew up there was no internet.  So I could get along without it.  I have always loved TV so I would keep the tv.  I love watching TVLAND, PBS, Turner Classic movies.