Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think I am crazy!!

I'd give up our oven before I'd give up our tv's. We get a lot of enjoyment from watching tv. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Over the past few years I think it has become popular not to admit to watching television. Myself, I love watching all genres of entertainment. Tonight the HBO movie I am looking forward to watching. Love many of the channels for nostalgia programming. 

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11

Are you saying that those of us who don't watch tv are not admitting it because it's "popular"?  Not watching tv hasn't won me any popularity contests and I don't talk about it unless someone asks. Just wanted to check because I maybe misunderstood. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

(thread title)

@JasoninBoston

Are you saying you do not have a tv set? You lost me when you said " I got Netflix". Are you watching Netflix with a wi-fi set up on a mobile device?

As far as your question "does anyone else not have tv"?  I have been an electronics geek since I was 15 years old. We have a 110" front projector tv/37" LCD tv, and a curved 65" 4k tv, which does everything but boil water for my morning instant cup of Folgers Instant Coffee.

TV is for advancing my knowledge of all world things/internet use/Amazon Prime/Netflix/my choice of entertainment, and most importantly of all, to watch my New York Rangers National Hockey League Games.

Could I live without a tv set? Sure I could, but way in the world would I want to do that?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

@Trinity11

Are you saying that those of us who don't watch tv are not admitting it because it's "popular"?  Not watching tv hasn't won me any popularity contests and I don't talk about it unless someone asks. Just wanted to check because I maybe misunderstood. Smiley Happy

All I know are my friends who claim it is low brow to watch television. Kind of like they think intelligent people wouldn't be caught dead watching television. Just a lot of what I have encountered over the years.....no comment on what people on these forums do.

Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

(thread title)

@JasoninBoston

Are you saying you do not have a tv set? You lost me when you said " I got Netflix". Are you watching Netflix with a wi-fi set up on a mobile device?

As far as your question "does anyone else not have tv"?  I have been an electronics geek since I was 15 years old. We have a 110" front projector tv/37" LCD tv, and a curved 65" 4k tv, which does everything but boil water for my morning instant cup of Folgers Instant Coffee.

TV is for advancing my knowledge of all world things/internet use/Amazon Prime/Netflix/my choice of entertainment, and most importantly of all, to watch my New York Rangers National Hockey League Games being played.

Could I live without a tv set? Sure I could, but why in the world would I want to do that?

hckynut(john)

Yes, I don't have a TV!  I watch QVC on my computer or phone and just got Netflix for using over wifi Smiley Happy  I actually spend lots of time reading off line, listening to music and practicing piano (on a real piano) Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JasoninBoston....do whatever makes YOU happy. If other people think it's odd that you do not have a TV, that is their issue, not yours. To each his own, right? Smiley Happy

Edited to add that I also enjoy reading and listening to music. I think it's great that you play the piano. Enjoy.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Trusted Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@JasoninBoston....do whatever makes YOU happy. If other people think it's odd that you do not have a TV, that is their issue, not yours. To each his own, right? Smiley Happy

Edited to add that I also enjoy reading and listening to music. I think it's great that you play the piano. Enjoy.

Thank you!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

OMG! Love my TV....seriously would lose my mind without it. We have 5 in the house. I want another in my bathroom some day.  When the power goes off in the winter....I really miss my TV more than anything. 

Honored Contributor

Tv has been a part of my world since the day I was born.  I wouldn't want to be without a tv any more than I would want to live life without a car or a dishwasher or phone or a refrigerator.  It's not like owning a tv means I watch it 24/7 and don't do anything else.  Tv has never prevented me from reading or working or conversing with family and friends.  If anything, tv has enriched our lives for the past....what....70 years or so.  I don't imagine there are many people who don't own one and it that works for them, good.  I don't know any of those people.  It's not like owning a tv means you have to spend every waking hour parked in front of it.