Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else not have a TV? All my friends think I am crazy!!

[ Edited ]

dupe

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

dupe.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

I haven't had a TV since 2005.  Don't miss it at all.  Anything I want to watch, I can see on YT or AMZN .. or pick up at the library.

Regular Contributor

I don't think it's crazy at all.  While we do have a TV, I don't watch it except for at night if my husband puts it on.  I am disabled and semi housbound, so I'm home all day, but never turn on the TV for several resons.  The programming isn't interesting to me, I can't stand those loud commercials, (ugh) and I am too busy with other things. I spend my time researching something of interest (or need), praying, reading, writing cards and letters, connecting with friends by phone or email,  and doing light cooking or cleaning if I'm able. I will watch the late news to check the weather, and there are a few rare TV shows that my husband and I will watch ( about 1- 2  week), and rent an occassional movie, but I could probably live without a TV. 

Regular Contributor

I don't know anybody without tv but interesting to think about.

I would free up so much time if I didn't have the tv tempting me lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'd give up our oven before I'd give up our tv's. We get a lot of enjoyment from watching tv. 

@gidgetgh  I'd be willing to give up my stove, too, just give it up!!  LOL  I hate to cook.  Maybe because I eat to live, not the other way around. 

As far as TV's, we have 3 big screens in both of our homes.....couldn't be without them.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

I think in today's world a tv is a safet and security feature.  There are things you need to know and things that help alert you to some things you need to be aware of.

In Oklahoma, you HAVE to have a tv to see where the tornado is.  

For us, there is a lot of good entertainment even today, and a lot of shows that let you see the world and the art and music you don't get elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@JasoninBoston wrote:

I haven't had a TV for most of my adult life. 

People who come into my house are always shocked that I don't have one.

While I like having more time to read and not get sucked into watching things I shouldn't, I do find sometimes there are certain things I "miss".  Every so often there will be a conversation with a group of friends or coworkers about a particular show that I am totally clueless about! 

I just got Netflx thinking that would be interesting to see some of these must-see shows that friends discuss.  So far I am not so sure I am keeping it!!

Does anyone else not have a TV and maybe fills similarly ambivalent about getting one?

@JasoninBoston

Did your family have a TV when you were a child?   

There's such a wide variety of shows and information ... I especially like the news panel discussions.  Something for everyone.

I think a lot of people use the television as entertainment to decompress from their busy day.   

One thing I STRONGLY disagree with is parents using the TV as a babysitter.  They plop the kids in front of it and ignore them.   Makes me wonder why they even bothered to have kids.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

One thing I STRONGLY disagree with is parents using the TV as a babysitter.  They plop the kids in front of it and ignore them.   Makes me wonder why they even bothered to have kids.

I plopped our children in front of TV when I needed to get my housework done or was making dinner.  Yes it was a babysitter but a darn good babysitter.  Over the years there have been many great educational shows as well as videos for children of all ages.

This has nothing to do with why we bothered to have children.  Can you honestly say you've never used TV to occupy your children while you needed to get something done or simply needed a a few minutes to yourself?

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@JasoninBoston wrote:

I haven't had a TV for most of my adult life. 

People who come into my house are always shocked that I don't have one.

While I like having more time to read and not get sucked into watching things I shouldn't, I do find sometimes there are certain things I "miss".  Every so often there will be a conversation with a group of friends or coworkers about a particular show that I am totally clueless about! 

I just got Netflx thinking that would be interesting to see some of these must-see shows that friends discuss.  So far I am not so sure I am keeping it!!

Does anyone else not have a TV and maybe fills similarly ambivalent about getting one?

@JasoninBoston

Did your family have a TV when you were a child?   

There's such a wide variety of shows and information ... I especially like the news panel discussions.  Something for everyone.

I think a lot of people use the television as entertainment to decompress from their busy day.   

I did have a TV growing up, however, I wasn't plopped down as much as some I think.

For me now--not having one--I just don't really have much interest it even when I go to the gym and am riding the exercise bikes, for example.  

With my computer I do watch QVC from time to time and I sometimes wish I didn't have that option to by tempted by!! Smiley Happy