Trusted Contributor

Re: Does Anyone own an E Vehicle?

@Sooner wrote:

The thing I wonder about, it runs on electricity.  So unless the electricity is generated by a clean source, doesn't it use more energy to produce, fuel, mine minerals and dispose of than what we are driving now?

@Sooner Yes it does take more energy but most people don't realize or think about that.  The same as we will never get rid of our dependence on fossil fuels.  Wind Turbines require fossil fuels to operate.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

The thing I wonder about, it runs on electricity.  So unless the electricity is generated by a clean source, doesn't it use more energy to produce, fuel, mine minerals and dispose of than what we are driving now?

@Sooner Yes it does take more energy but most people don't realize or think about that.  The same as we will never get rid of our dependence on fossil fuels.  Wind Turbines require fossil fuels to operate.

@mimomof4 Yes, and I wonder about the cost when they start to all break down and need repair.

I'm sure we will get away from fossil fuels but realistically it isn't going to happen soon.  Even if it happened tomorrow, are we going to get rid of all the gas powered vehicles?  One of the biggest problems is distribution as well. 

Lots of issues involved that we don't normally think about.  

Trusted Contributor

Heck no!  

Esteemed Contributor

If we ever end fossil fuels, it won't be in my lifetime.  Right now it's more of  pipe dream than anything else. Sounds good in theory, but making it work in reality is another issue. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Valued Contributor

Live in Ohio and have a KIA Niro, which is a hybrid. I had to pay an extra $100 for my license plate sticker because of the "lost" gas tax revenue..  I already, in the past, paid $140 for my plate because I have a "vanity" plate.  So now it's $240 a year.  Who thinks of this stuff?  

Honored Contributor

@Magicrat wrote:

Live in Ohio and have a KIA Niro, which is a hybrid. I had to pay an extra $100 for my license plate sticker because of the "lost" gas tax revenue..  I already, in the past, paid $140 for my plate because I have a "vanity" plate.  So now it's $240 a year.  Who thinks of this stuff?  

Uh, those of us who pay tax at the pump for road maintenance?  Woman EmbarassedWoman Happy

Honored Contributor

We've had them since 2012.  Our first one was a leaf.  The one we have now is a Mercedes.  It's a great car.  But we always lease and the lease is ending.  So we've been looking for a new one.  

The one we want is a BMW.  The range will be 300 miles.  It won't be available until the first half of next year.  Here is the car:

2021 bmw i4 front threequarter

While waiting for this we tested the new Volkswagen electric car and the Audi.  We loved the Audi, didn't like the VW  because it's acceleration was poor.  The drive was very smooth though.  WE always buy German cars.  Either a Mercedes or a BMW.