Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Posts?

@Jackhound Mom, I have debated about posting to your thread, I have had good and bad experiences on these forums over the many years I have been here, with getting close to certain posters.  All I can say is what this quote expresses:

Not everyone who smiles at you is your friend

Respected Contributor

No.  A former neighbor tried it, but for some reason didn't stay for very long.

Honored Contributor

@stuyvesant wrote:

I don't think people here are dastardly criminals who would wreak havoc on anybody they could figure out an address for.

It's probably more dangerous to run out and get milk, and we all have an expectation borne out by experience, that running out to get milk is going to be a safe thing to do.

@stuyvesant  Oh don't be so sure-some believe that their personal info has been tracked down-and have posted as such.   Based only on disagreeing with them.  People can be a tad paranoid.

Posters have had their real names listed and we've also have had a poster who was a target by a select group of people who were determined to find out who she was and where she lived.  They would post names and cities they "thought" they found but were never right.

You are also forgetting the nasty trolls and you are also forgetting that there used to be a poster who would document everything, and I mean everything, that posters said.

Now this was before the upgrade but never doubt that not everyone posting or even just reading is "normal" so to speak.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I suppose the Q wants to avoid lawsuits by prohibiting personal contact. If an interaction goes wrong that originated here they could be named.

Lots of forums offer private messenger options.  It's not at all unusual, and there's actually no reason for concern about any kind of liability.

@NYC Susan  Yes, pm's are offered on many forums.  I agree that the Q really doesn't have real liability but that doesn't mean a person could try to sue.

It happened before-a poster tried to sue Corporate after not getting certain people banned.  Of course nothing came of it but I'm sure the Q has better things to tend to.

The Q doesn't need the hassle; easier to just not have the pm feature.  And I don't know if you remember but private emails offline were posted here years ago out of revenge.

It caused a lot of fights and sides being taken; in fact some of those tiffs were part of the reason we have such strict moderation now.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

Today's thought:  I would not mind if we had to use our real names here.  I know I am a minority but I will gladly take credit for my words and actions.  Anyone who lives in my neck of the woods will surely be able to identify me by my dog's photo and her sweater as all winter long I knit custom sweaters for her.

My 1 regret was that I was snarky to one poster, no excuses, I apoligized and she has forgiven me.

Cathy

your dogs sweaters sound so cute,

that is a good project, doesn't take too long and the receipient wont' complain 

Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@stuyvesant wrote:

I don't think people here are dastardly criminals who would wreak havoc on anybody they could figure out an address for.

It's probably more dangerous to run out and get milk, and we all have an expectation borne out by experience, that running out to get milk is going to be a safe thing to do.

@stuyvesant  Oh don't be so sure-some believe that their personal info has been tracked down-and have posted as such.   Based only on disagreeing with them.  People can be a tad paranoid.

Posters have had their real names listed and we've also have had a poster who was a target by a select group of people who were determined to find out who she was and where she lived.  They would post names and cities they "thought" they found but were never right.

You are also forgetting the nasty trolls and you are also forgetting that there used to be a poster who would document everything, and I mean everything, that posters said.

Now this was before the upgrade but never doubt that not everyone posting or even just reading is "normal" so to speak.

@Cakers3 I'm only saying I don't think these are dangerous people..  Spiteful, sure

I've come to beieve these are simply ill people who don't get listened to by their families and I like very much that the people here stop them.

Respected Contributor

@Hooty wrote:

@Jackhound Mom, I have debated about posting to your thread, I have had good and bad experiences on these forums over the many years I have been here, with getting close to certain posters.  All I can say is what this quote expresses:

Not everyone who smiles at you is your friend

@Hooty  Thank you my friend!  Yes, that is wonderful advice!!  I have stepped in a several times Cat Sad  Even though I'm 64.......

Have a fantastic week!

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@NYC Susan wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I suppose the Q wants to avoid lawsuits by prohibiting personal contact. If an interaction goes wrong that originated here they could be named.

Lots of forums offer private messenger options.  It's not at all unusual, and there's actually no reason for concern about any kind of liability.

@NYC Susan  Yes, pm's are offered on many forums.  I agree that the Q really doesn't have real liability but that doesn't mean a person could try to sue.

It happened before-a poster tried to sue Corporate after not getting certain people banned.  Of course nothing came of it but I'm sure the Q has better things to tend to.

The Q doesn't need the hassle; easier to just not have the pm feature.  And I don't know if you remember but private emails offline were posted here years ago out of revenge.

It caused a lot of fights and sides being taken; in fact some of those tiffs were part of the reason we have such strict moderation now.

Well, we clearly disagree.  I think pm's would be a very nice addition here.  There's even less likelihood of problems since the moderation is so strict.   Private info posted publicly would be deleted by the mods, but no one has to provide private info on private messenger anyway.   I don't give out my email address freely at all, yet I'm active on pm's on several other forums.  In many cases, we communicate just via messenger with no exchange of emails.  I've been in touch with several people that way for years.

It makes no sense to me that it wouldn't work here when it works so well on many other forums, some of which are only loosely moderated or not moderated at all.  No one has to participate if they don't want to - They can simply not use it or block/ignore anyone who reaches out privately.  Age, location, email, whatever can be as private as the user wants those things to be.  Just use a throwaway email, or don't give out an email address at all.

And yes, of course anyone can sue.  Anyone can sue anyone for anything.  But that doesn't mean QVC would be liable or would have to do a thing about it.  If private messenging works well in countless other forums, there's no reason why it couldn't work well here too.  

Respected Contributor

@gloriajeanThank you for answering and your wonderful update!  I'm glad to know about your daughters and the other new members of your family, congratulations!  Also enjoy your travel trip and I hope you love your new home, your last one we were able to see on line and it was so beautiful.  I do not have your # Woman Sad

What was said was that you and some of our other posters were on some other posting place and that you all were completly different than what was on here.  I never looked at the other place (beach something?) because I didn't want to see anything negitive.

I should Not have fallen for it as I know no one as kind as you would take that much time blessing us all with your posts and then go somewhere else and be negitive!  Please forgive me for falling for a lie!

Thanks for writing and continued blessings to you and your family!

Love, Cathy

the bead lady

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

I wish I did.  Years ago when GJ did Positive some of us exchanged phone # and talked.  We were all in different states except GJ & my dearly departed friend Linda IN MN.  She & I talked for years and I haven't felt the same sense she passed away.  I miss her!

Sometimes it seems that posters know eachother or maybe they just know someones "name" and answer whenever they see them.

I had invited one of my neighbors (Debbie) to join Butterfly & Friends on the new Positive but she is quite ill and hasn't done it yet.

Most of my neighbors know I write here and sometimes when I get a comment out of left field I wonder if it isn't one of them.  Or maybe it's just another poster who doesn't like what I have to say.  I do try to offer help if I have experience on a subject.

Maybe some of you know your friends from FB?  I'm not on there.......Cat Very Happy

@Jackhound Mom

Was that LininMI @O@ ?  She has a beautiful granddaughter with blond hair who once donated it for locks of love?

I really loved posting with her & she had excellent skin advice.

@Drythe--I believe her nic was LyninMI.  I remember her and wonder if she still posts.  She was nice. I hope she is well!

I used to only post on Beauty until I went totally organic with makeup, body and skincare.

I also remember some other posters who used to post there about 10 years ago, Xanax4smiles, PhillyZepHeather, Joella.  I probably hacked their names up!  Do you remember them?

@Drythe and @Lucky Charm, If this is the one -- @lyn in MI -- she hasn't been here for about a year (you can click on her name that I posted and see her profile).    I remember her, too, and miss her.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova