Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Know Anyone Who Posts?

@WaJa61 wrote:

Hello, @Jackhound Mom... I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend, Linda. Deepest condolences to you and all who loved her. 🌹

As others have kindly explained... it used to be that we were permitted to share email addresses here. During that time, I did share my throw-away with some. Of those, I have been fortunate enough to meet several in person. I count them all as dear friends. Nothing bad ever happened ~ not to suggest that it couldn’t have. I know of some here who have had terrible experiences. As others have implied... I agree that QVC would likely not care to be mentioned in any potential lawsuits resulting from those. Not that they'd be liable themselves ~ just “bad” publicity and expense,  though it's really our own personal responsibility until someone crosses the legal line. 

I'm sorry it's now forbidden for others, such as yourself, who would be interested in making private contact with those you bond with here on the forums. Never-the-less, companionship here is possible even if just posting pals. I feel very fondly about some here who I don’t know on a more personal basis, and never will ~ including you. ❤️ 

I find you caring, helpful and supportive. Just as in the real world, we'll find disagreements here. I try not to personalize those since views are as varied as people are. I hope none of your neighbors are targeting you for harassment on these forums, since you are having problems in your current neighborhood. I continue to pray that you and yours are out of there soon. In the meanwhile, I would be cautious about what I share here. One need not even be a member to read these posts. So if you wouldn’t say it directly to their face... perhaps don’t publish it here. 

Hugs to you! 

@WaJa61Thank you for the flattering remarks and condolences!  I have acomplished my goals if I am supportive & helpful but I'm sure I fall short sometimes.

I have benifited from so many who have helped me here and will forever be grateful.  I really appreciate your advice and will take it to heart.

Hugs right back to you,

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I like the anonymity here.  You don't have to worry about your opinions offending someone you may know.  I once grew very uncomfortable when two posters pinpointed each others locations to a spot very near here.  Now that isn't allowed.  Remember the Nurse Recruiter story?  Prime example of why one shouldn't get too chummy. 

I enjoy being anonymous here too.  As I've said many times, Susan is not my real name and I'm very careful about information that I share.  Some posters give too much info, IMO.  It's not necessary to provide so much detail, and is often not even relevant to the topic.  

I use private messenger on other forums, and I'm still anonymous there.  I can choose to provide my real name, location, etc, but I generally don't do that.  It's just a nice way to chat with someone privately.  There are a few posters here who I would love to chat with, and I don't need to know anything personal about them and they don't need to know anything personal about me.  The goal doesn't have to be meeting or becoming best buddies.  It can be to just chat with someone whose posts you enjoy or who you feel is like-minded, or whatever.

On these forums and on private messenger, no one has to divulge their names, location, age, anything else.  That's totally up to each person and what makes them feel comfortable. (A lot of long and wonderful friendships and relationships have actually started on the internet, btw, by people who shared personal info when their good judgment told them the time was right to do so.)

Respected Contributor

@depglassI don't know the nurce story.  Could you please share?  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@NYC Susan wrote:

@depglass wrote:

I like the anonymity here.  You don't have to worry about your opinions offending someone you may know.  I once grew very uncomfortable when two posters pinpointed each others locations to a spot very near here.  Now that isn't allowed.  Remember the Nurse Recruiter story?  Prime example of why one shouldn't get too chummy. 

I enjoy being anonymous here too.  As I've said many times, Susan is not my real name and I'm very careful about information that I share.  Some posters give too much info, IMO.  It's not necessary to provide so much detail, and is often not even relevant to the topic.  

I use private messenger on other forums, and I'm still anonymous there.  I can choose to provide my real name, location, etc, but I generally don't do that.  It's just a nice way to chat with someone privately.  There are a few posters here who I would love to chat with, and I don't need to know anything personal about them and they don't need to know anything personal about me.  The goal doesn't have to be meeting or becoming best buddies.  It can be to just chat with someone whose posts you enjoy or who you feel is like-minded, or whatever.

On these forums and on private messenger, no one has to divulge their names, location, age, anything else.  That's totally up to each person and what makes them feel comfortable. (A lot of long and wonderful friendships and relationships have actually started on the internet, btw, by people who shared personal info when their good judgment told them the time was right to do so.)

I do not like being anonymous, some for the very reasons the above like being anonymous. Those who post have full control over what they choose to post or share with others. Guess I don't get why many that post here talk about their FB and Twitter accounts,  which to me, is pretty much anything but anonymous, at least what little I read on them appears to be.

Anonymous here and tell one's minute by minute daily life  on those above mentioned? Guess I must be missing something about FB, for sure. The few I know that use it spill everything about everything, and I  guess think nothing of it. Oh well, while I like to share my life's experiences with others, I am not interested in spending a lot of my waking hours giving daily blow by blow account of my day.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I don't know anyone on Q's forums.

However, I met a whole new group of friends posting on a particular newspaper's website.  We actually formed a new politcial group which started out 6 years ago with 12 people and now has 150+ in 4 states, including a few state politicians.  We're now a known entity in local and state politics.  And I've made friends for life.

Honored Contributor

I don't have an issue with PM,  and it would make this a better forum

treating posters like children who can't accept differing opinions and thoughts, through deleting has not been good

for the board

Respected Contributor

Good Morning,

Today's question is: are the poster profiles still in placce?  I can't seem to find them.  Did that change as well?  Thank you.

Cathy

Respected Contributor

Today's thought:  I would not mind if we had to use our real names here.  I know I am a minority but I will gladly take credit for my words and actions.  Anyone who lives in my neck of the woods will surely be able to identify me by my dog's photo and her sweater as all winter long I knit custom sweaters for her.

My 1 regret was that I was snarky to one poster, no excuses, I apoligized and she has forgiven me.

Cathy

Esteemed Contributor

@Jackhound Mom wrote:

@gloriajeanYes!  Unfortunately someone who used to post with us told me something awful and I believed it and backed off of all my friends on your Positive except Linda.

Please forgive me for being so gulable (sp?)  

Linda & I talked almost every day for years even when she ws in the Hospital.  I miss her and I miss us all writing about our lives.

Did you and your DH sell and move to that wonderful place you were considering?  How are your girls? God bless you Gloria Jean!

Hugs,  Cathy

Hello Cathy,  I'm wondering what was told to you that was awful? Do you still have my phone number?  it never changed.

Yes, we sold our house and we are now living in an apartment complex. It will be 3 years in Sept.  Oldest daughter married, and presented us with identical twin girls, almost 2 years ago.  We are there helping and babysitting about 3 or 4 days a week. She has EDS, and in severe pain, so needs lots of help. We are leaving on Wednesday to go to Montana - in a RV, the whole family to see my nephew there on a ranch. We'll be gone about 9 days, twins are going too!! They are the sweetest thing that ever happened to us! Grandparenting is wonderful. Other daughter was a massage therapist for 20 years, now going to Nursing school and will be a registered nurse in March.  What's new with you?

Honored Contributor

No, but I'd love to meet several posters on a personal basis.  Because of the Forum Standards/Rules I've never posted my email address or phone number or last name. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~