Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Color (Yes! Color) In Your 'Spare' Time?

I've been making Zentangle doodles for several years.  It's relaxing  to me because there are no color choices -- just black pens.

I was wondering if adult coloring is passé now.  I was in our local B&N and the selection of coloring books was limited compared to last year at this time.

Regular Contributor

I have 4 adult coloring books and a big box of colored pencils  Smiley Happy  I love it for relaxing. I loved to color when I was a kid. 

They say if you did love to color you will enjoy but if you didnt, you probably wont enjoy it now or find it relaxing!!

If we all had the same opinion or everyone was the same. the world would be a very boring place!
Esteemed Contributor

I really enjoy my meditative coloring books.  I use colored pencils of all types.I usually color before bed,it relaxes me alot.  It takes my mind away from whatever is stressing me at the time.  Someone posted that walking,reading,gardening was for her.  Well, I do all those things and there is time for coloring,too. 

It would be fun to get together with all of you coloring artists for a big coloring fest,lol!  Thank you, @Annabellethecat66,for a fun thread.👻

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but it has been a few months since I have colored.  I think I need to pick up a Christmas-themed coloring book and start coloring again, since now that the weather is changing and we have had several days of rain already, I am indoors more.

Honored Contributor

Ah ...  the good old days ....  

This thread brings back the childhood memories of opening a brand new box of 64 Crayola Crayons ....  the scent of waxy crayons in all those beautiful colors .....  sigh.

I think I may have to start coloring again ....

Honored Contributor

Yep, as soon as we're in the **** season again, I'll bring it all out and get going. It's nice.

Valued Contributor

I did pick up an adult coloring book last year around Christmastime. I thought I would find it relaxing, but it turned out to be boring.   I wish I did enjoy it, but it's just too dull.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 Remember opening the new box of crayons.  Remember the smell of the wax?  Most of us still remember the neat names of the colors.  After kindergarden we moved past the box of (was it 8)?  Then on to 24, then 64, the sky was the limit.

I loved the smell and the name of the crayons.  Sometimes I'll look at something and think, mauve....

Here's a list of the colors.....so beautiful.  I had a daughter who wanted to color everything black.  Drove her teacher crazy!  I have another daughter who would not make the grass green or the sky blue.  The teacher and I butted heads.  I said, "Look, when someone is making a picture they have the right to color the sky and grass whatever they want to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Crayola_crayon_colors

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a set of pastels (thick-ish sticks) on sale.  Now I'm wondering what to do with them.   Can I use them on canvas or on coloring book pages?  I recall using them on black poster board a hundred years ago (lol), but just wondering if I can paint  a small white 5x7 canvas black, and then draw my own design using the pastels?  Any suggestions?  I believe the box stated 'blendable', etc.   It's been so long ago that I don't recall how how I used those pastels. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I  totally love the smell of crayola crayons.

I actually have an Altoid Tin  with a few crayons in it that i use for  *smell* therapy!  

My favorite color is  *PERIWINKLE* !! 

I have a newish box of 64 with the pencil sharpener in the front. Does anyone recall a FLAT box with about 72 crayons?   i had that as a child but it may not be available now. 

Keep Calm and Color On, 

CAT