Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Color (Yes! Color) In Your 'Spare' Time?

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66I have had a journaling Bible for four months now.  It has illustrations with many verses inside that can be colored in.  I have found that it enhances my study and brings it to life  when I color them.Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Honored Contributor

Crayons and coloring books are the one thing I have never let go of from my childhood.  

As a young newlywed, my husband and I often worked different shifts, and at night when I was home alone, I colored.   When my girls were babies, I often colored during their nap time.   I taught them to color by coloring with them.   When I worked switchboard on 11-7 shift, I colored to help me stay awake on those nights I was exhausted.    

I have 2 beautiful adult coloring books, that have never been touched.   For me the joy of coloring comes in a child's Christmas coloring book and my box of 64 Crayola crayons.   I love to color Christmas pictures.  

Coloring helps me stay calm and focused; I don't overthink, or let things get to me.   Just the smell of a Crayola crayon calms and soothes me.   

Honored Contributor

@Pandalady WOW!  Thanks for sharing!  Love that idea.  I can see how when you are coloring you are thinking about the lessons and what is being conveyed.  I just love the whole idea of it.  

You know if you think about it that same premise could be used by teachers trying to teach a kid who just can't get lessons like other kids.  I've always been a visual learner vs a verbal learner.

When I used to make clothes, I'd follow the basic steps to follow but I'd put the pieces together like a puzzle and ignore the directions.  I can see how coloring something like maybe in US Government would help one understand what one is supposed to learn and remember.

Thanks for sharing that.  I will remember you and your post for a long time to come and when I speak to others about coloring and when they go, "That's for kids", I'll repeat your post (somewhat) I saw here.  Thank you, thank you.  Fondly, Annabelle.  I love it when I learn something new.

Honored Contributor

I love coloring and find it very relaxing and an opportunity to be creative.  I even framed a few of my efforts.  My preference is markers/gel pens, etc.  I didn't enjoy the results I got with colored pencils.  I always loved coloring as a child.  Guess I never really outgrew it.  Glad it's more acceptable for adults now!!!

Honored Contributor

I have colored in the past but have not in quite a few years.  I did not buy fancy coloring books just the books that kids use.  It is relaxing and as a kid, I loved coloring.  Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I have neither the time nor the patience to sit and color some intricate design.  I feel the same about doing those 1000 piece jigsaw puzzles.  I find them frustrating and time-wasting rather than relaxing.  I'd rather not play board games or card games either.  Instead, I enjoy reading, going for a walk, or working in my yard when time permits.  Just me.

Respected Contributor

When I retired I bought many books, pencils, markers and pens with every intention of coloring. Here it is a year and a half later and I've done half a picture. Maybe this winter..............?  I just can't seem to find the time.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

I used to have my students use colored pencils on rooms I had created to illustrate the color harmonies.  They had to design patterns for upholstery pieces and accessories like pillows.

They loved it and some were incredible!

Respected Contributor

I tried it but it wasn't for me.  I found it boring.  The whole time I was doing it I kept thinking of something else I rather be doing.

Honored Contributor

It took me awhile to get to the point I enjoyed it.  I was given a few books and pencils and didn't care for any of the books or the pencils.  I picked out a few books, went to gel pens and now really enjoy adult coloring.