Respected Contributor

Re: Do You Color (Yes! Color) In Your 'Spare' Time?

@Annabellethecat66  Thank you for your kind words. I also have other devotional books of verses for coloring.  I am on part time oxygen and I find it relaxing to either color during my devotional time or to cross stich during the time I use my oxygen concentrator.Cat Very Happy

I'm not short...I'm fun size!
Respected Contributor

Absolutely! I started when my grand was younger. It wasn't the adult thing then, but I loved it for two reasons. First, my grand  thought it was "our thing" which in itself was very theraputic! Then, I found I liked to do it and found it relaxing! I saw CBS today as well and thought it was very interesting! Some libraries in my area hold adult coloring times each week!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

COLOR THERAPY?  Oh YES!  I did not realize it is a *craze* but more folks are taking it up 

My Aunt got me into this hobby. She suggested I give it a try and I LOVE IT!  I found some good adult color books at WalMart, Crayola Color Pencils and electric pencil sharpener. 

I prefer to tear the perforated pages out and put on a pink clipboard.  I keep my finished pages in clear document holders in a notebook with the date I finished on back of the page.  

Anna Griffin on HSN has a nice set of 5x7 color books I took on a recent trip to Chicago along with a pencil case of color pencils. 

I am also interested in an art hobby called  *ZENTANGLE* and have a book about it but have not tried it out yet.  (One Zentangle A Day). A friend of my Aunt says it has helped her Parkinson's and she is being studied at Emory U.  why? is the Zentangle helping?  

Right now I have my eye on a new color book * America's Favorite Birds Coloring Book* by Miyoko Chu and Brenda Lyons. It looks very interesting! 

Keep Calm and Color On, 

CAT

Respected Contributor

@Wackers3 wrote:

I don't presently but am very interested in trying it.  HSN had a adult coloring set TSV sometime last spring that I really planned on picking up but it sold out before I got round to it.  I do find coloring very relaxing.  I vividly remember when I was 8 months pregnant with my 3rd child and my almost 6 year old had a friend over.  I was trying to keep them lowkey so as not to wake my 2 year old who was napping so I sat down and spent an hour and a half coloring with them.  I think the reasons I recall it so vividly is because it was so peacefully relaxing and I ended up going into premature labor by 5 weeks later that night.

They say it is a very positive and enjoyable hobby for adults and there is now so much to choose from that is geared to adults.  You have just reminded me to start looking for a good basic starter kit.  I really do think it will be good for me and an enjoyable way to destress.  Think I will start looking today as I need anything destressing I can find until 8 November has come and gone (and hopefully not after)

Thanks for posting about it!

Don't worry about starting with too much! I have lots of coloring books I bought for my grand at a dollar store! A few were too intricate for her so they became "mine" when she picked. I also find a simple pack of colored pencils is fine to begin with! Crayons are fine if the spaces are a bit larger and are better if coloring on regular coloring book pages as pencils aren't so good there. Markers, no matter how fine the point, get messy! Good luck and have fun!

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66. I think it's wonderful that you gals live with your kids! My mom lived with us for her last 12 years! I can't speak for her, but I loved it and I miss her very much! Yes, there were times it got tedious over my parenting style (no different really than her's, just seen from a different view, I guess!) but those times were few and passed quickly! I was so happy for my kids! All I ever wanted was to be close to my relatives! I'd have been in heaven if my grandma had lived with us!

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens I think you misunderstood.  I live about 1/2 hour from my daughter.  Goodness, I love, love my girls but I'm a pain in the butt and as much as they love me, they would rather not have me live with them.  Ha!

I go over there often (maybe once or twice a week) for an hour and sometimes more.  Actually, my oldest daughter handles all of my late husband and my business stuff (i.e. taxes, investments, etc) so I often have to sign papers, etc.  I joke that my grandson (age 4) sees me as a walking talking french fry (which I often bring him).  My daughter is gracious, she lets me spoil them as much as I want to.  My son-in-law's mom and dad live nearby too but they are always traveling around the world (for real).  We all get along and get together for birthdays, etc.  We have been good friends for years.  My daughter met her husband the first day of her first day of college at UVA, so we all go way back.  It makes things nice and comfortable (no competition) for all of us.

The best part of being happy is realizing when you are happy.  I've told my girls, "The 'good old days are now'.  There's no such thing as 'good old days'.  Enjoy life every minute you are living it.  If you aren't happy, change things, one way or another.

Right?

Honored Contributor

Another thing you can do is xerox in black and white some of your favorite REAL pictures (past and present) and color them.

My daughter did this when my grandchildren were young.  It helped their dexterity as they grew.  They enjoyed coloring pictures of people and things they knew every day.

Honored Contributor

@gacat123 Wow!  Thanks for the information!  I just looked up Zantangle and learned something new (2 things today)!

For those not familiar with this form here is the explanation furthering what @gacat123 posted and was in Psychology Today magazine.  Just pretty much what she posted:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/arts-and-health/201403/calm-down-and-get-your-zentangle

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66. You are indeed a wise woman with good advice!

Honored Contributor

Well, I don't always take my own advice.  My daughters put up with me.  Ha!