Valued Contributor

I find myself going out less and seeing less people.  I need some ideas to do instead of sitting with the TV on, which I don't.  I would love some ideas on worth while things to make that I might enjoy and even to give as useful gifts.  I have time, minimal amount of money and want to be useful and creative.  If anyone can help me, I KNOW you guys can .  I'm so sure, I'll thank you before you answer.  Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Knitting. I belong to 2 church knitting groups and we donate our items to various organizations.  Knitting has kept me sane for the past 2 years!!

Plenty of "how tos" on YouTube.  Minimal expense for needles and yarn!

Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

As @kaydee50 mentioned knitting is a good hobby as is crocheting, cross stitch (I like counted cross stitch). These are probably the least expensive hobbies to try.

Super Contributor

A few years ago I became very involved with card making.  It's a fun and creative hobby.  There are a few items you would want to buy in the beginning, but after that you can spend as much or as little as you want.

I've made all kinds of Birthday Cards and Christmas Cards.  I give sets of  note cards and envelopes as gifts and they are always very well received.  

There are ideas all over Pinterest and YouTube if you want to check it out.

Trusted Contributor

This avidshopper is also an avid quilter.  I have made many intricate quilts over the years but now I'm currently working on a "rag quilt".  Great for beginners.  There are FB groups that are worth joining.  Also, of course, Google images for ideas too. 

Valued Contributor

Don't know if you would consider this as a crafter but after surgery a few years ago while  recuperating I got into adult coloring books. There are so many adult  coloring books of so many different designs  and I liked using  the gel pens they come in so many colors. Was able to order  everything on Amazon.

I even framed a few and have them  hanging on my wall,and could always be given as gifts.

I found during this  pandemic I was getting the  box of books and pens out again, as I was spending so much time indoors ,and watching television was and still is depressing sometimes.

Valued Contributor

Thanks Posters.  Nice varied responses and I didn't realize the resources.  Crafts mentioned have purpose and cost is reasonable.  Believe it or not, I feel like giving each a try.

Respected Contributor

@avid shopper wrote:

This avidshopper is also an avid quilter.  I have made many intricate quilts over the years but now I'm currently working on a "rag quilt".  Great for beginners.  There are FB groups that are worth joining.  Also, of course, Google images for ideas too. 

I am an avid quilter as well.  I started about 5 years ago and enjoyed it from the start.  I'm pretty much self taught after taking a class on measuring and cutting fabric.  

You can start out simple like making hot pads or drink coasters.  Then work up to a simple lap size quilt.  Nothing too complicated.  My family doesn't need any more quilts so now I make them for the humanitarian center.  I've made at least 50.  

It's very addicting and helps me get through the cold dark winter, like the big snowstorm we got last night.

It costs a little bit to get started because you need some rulers, rotary cutter and mat.  A simple inexpensive sewing machine will do.

There's lots of instructions on youtube.  I recommend Jenny Doan and Sew Very Simple.

Trusted Contributor

IDK if you're on FB but there are several really good crafting groups where people show what they do, plenty of ideas there!