Trusted Contributor

Wanted to thank all for the info.  Got my lenses from Coastal after a delay.  Apparently, the MDs office was not as cooperative as one might surmise.  Be that as it may, I am wearing them and very happy.  Much appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I just want to say something about the prices at your optometrist office. Many times they just cannot purchase contacts, frames or lenses at the prices that the big box and internet sellers can. They are not price gouging you they are just setting prices to support their private practices. 

Most do not mind if you buy from other sources but the reason you buy from the private office is to avail yourself of other services such as loaner lenses or emergency lenses when you forget to order or when you tear that last lens! 

Trusted Contributor

@granddi wrote:

I just want to say something about the prices at your optometrist office. Many times they just cannot purchase contacts, frames or lenses at the prices that the big box and internet sellers can. They are not price gouging you they are just setting prices to support their private practices. 

Most do not mind if you buy from other sources but the reason you buy from the private office is to avail yourself of other services such as loaner lenses or emergency lenses when you forget to order or when you tear that last lens! 

You are absolutely correct.  However,  They did refuse my request for a loaner lens though saying they did not have anymore in that script.  I did the math, Say for instance they have 100 customers that wear lenses and say they are making a 100 dollar profit per 6 months (that is the markup average over what I could get a box store). That would be 10 grand times two would be 20,000.  That is a lot of convenience or replacement lenses to buy.  Anyway, while I do not begrudge them their desire for profit, I, however, value my desire for savings more.

Respected Contributor

I wore contacts for many years until I had cateract surgery and no longer need them.

We are members of costco, but I always bought at 1 800 contacts.. If costcos price was lower I could mention it to the order operator and they would check and give me the lowest price.

I am lazy and loved that they were shipped to the door.

I believe you do not need to be a member of costco to fill a perscription.