Honored Contributor

Yesterday, I was on my computer and reading an article in msn.  All of a sudden a pop up came on that my computer is in threat of a virus and I should call Microsoft and gave the phone no.  I shut my computer off and called the number.  The recording said someone would be with me shortly but did not answer "Microsoft."  A woman came on and she said I should have not shut my computer off and I said what are you going to do and she wanted to get into my computer.  Last year I called an anti-virus software co. and the call was intercepted by this same co. with this same woman wanting to get into my computer.  This co. is based in India.  I can't believe they got into my computer when I have anti-virus software but they did.  If this ever happens to you, immediately shut off your computer.  Do not call the number.  I told her i want to think about it and hung up.  What a nightmare.  Passing along to you so you know what to do.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you didn't fall for it. I've heard of this before. It is just something at all the scamming that goes on. People are just something else.

Valued Contributor

My mom in her 80's had the same experience. However she didn't realize this was a scam to get into her computer. She called the number and gave information before she became suspicious. Fortunately she doesn't bank or shop online she only emails her friends so there really wasn't any important information to lose. However she felt very humiliated and lost confidence in herself because she was so easily duped. Her computer froze and she was so upset she purchased a new one. She didn't want anything to do with the old one. She lost many nights of sleep worrying. I agree beware everyone!

Respected Contributor

This happened to many people last year.  Wish the scammers would be caught and prosecuted.  One lady said she was charged $225.  Terrible.

Respected Contributor

OP:  You copied down the number and then shut your computer off?  Why would you even call the number?

Chances are you didn't get the same woman from the same company.

If something like that popped up on your computer, you do have a problem.   First I guess I would of gotten on the phone with your anti virus company and ask them what's going on.

I just hope no one clicks on anything unsoliciated on your computer.

Honored Contributor

Same thing happened to me a few months ago.  This window pops up with a big scary warning and you just can't click it away.  It freezes things up.  The only way out is to close down the computer and restart.  When you do don't restore your previous pages.

Respected Contributor

This happened to me about a month ago.  When the pop up came on, it had such a loud, glaring sound.  Spooked me.  I shut down my computer.  I think they use scare tactics to get the individual to respond quickly.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

The best possible protection is Malware.  My husband, whom majored in physics, helps Microsoft with their manuel problems and is the "real deal".  Things get past Norton Antivirus these days.  The pros use Malware.

Valued Contributor

Very scary.  I have been hearing(could even be here) that when you speak to someone like that, do not say the word YES as they are recording it and using it to buy things with your "verbal" permission.  I pay several things by phone and I am asked on occasion to say yes to verify.

I have always been gulible so I really have to watch my step.

Trusted Contributor
May I suggest you get Malwarebytes ( you can download a free version). I've used it for years and it works great. Scan your computer with it. You definitely have malware. It will basically hijack your computer. I use AVG for my ant-virus software. Both good things to have.