Honored Contributor

@Katcat1

I get calls from people, maybe from India, that part is not important to me. They go through telling me about my computer and it's "terrible, scary” problems. 

I am pretty computer savvy, so I string them along, with them thinking, "aha, I got another one". For me this is entertainment and I have a blast. Had one last week and this guy I strung along for over 10 minutes. He finally said, "are you playing me"? I said, "of course I am" and he said a few 4 letter words and hung up.

Now for me, I wasted a lot of his time, all the while enjoying myself. If anyone calls about your computer and says "microsoft"? Either have fun like I do, or hang up.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I would have never called the number.

That's just asking for trouble.

Honored Contributor

@Just Bling@Plaid Pants2I first shut off the computer.  At this point, I did not know what was happening so I dialed the number but when the woman answered the phone, a signal went off in my head that brought back the memory of what happened before.  Now I will be on the alert.  I wanted to share to help other people out.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

OP:  You copied down the number and then shut your computer off?  Why would you even call the number?

Chances are you didn't get the same woman from the same company.

If something like that popped up on your computer, you do have a problem.   First I guess I would of gotten on the phone with your anti virus company and ask them what's going on.

I just hope no one clicks on anything unsoliciated on your computer.

@Just Bling     @Katcat1

OMG .......   WHY aren't people up to date on all the SCAMS out there?   This is mind boggling!

Most scam emails have links or phone numbers ... or both.   DO NOT use them.   PLEASE use common sense here.   

If you feel compelled to call whichever company is presumably being represented, look up their CS number and call them yourself.    

My sister works for a company that buys used computers from businesses, refurbishes them, and sells them again to businesses.   This company always installs not only a good Anti-Virus program,  but also Malwarebytes.

You need BOTH .... virus protection AND malware protection.   

Contributor

Smiley Happy

Contributor

You can get rid of this thing without shutting off your computer.

simply hold down ctrl, alt, and delete. It will take you to the screen where task manager is listed. Click on task manager and a box will open on your desktop top right.

The virus will be listed. Just delete it and it is gone. I 've passed this solution on to all my relatives and friends.

Honored Contributor

@rosi red,  Thank you.  Luckily, there are no viruses listed.  I wrote down the info. you provided.   Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

This happened to me and I shut it down and took it to my computer guy.  He said this is a scam and that if I had called the number they would have locked up my computer and then charge me to unlock it.  He said that they had customers this had happened to and they have to bring it in to get it fixed.  He checked my computer and there was nothing wrong with it.  I think my computer even made some type of an alarm sound.  I was not on it at the time so it was suprising to hear all this going on with a computer that was just sitting and not in use.  Thank you for posting your experience.

Honored Contributor

That has happened to me, more than once.  I'm far from computer savvy but even I can tell a scam when I see one.  Never in a million years would I have ever called that number....wouldn't have entered my mind.  I assumed that if I called that number, I would then give them access to my computer to do heaven only knows what.....and pay them to do it.  I do have anti virus protection through Acer and McAfee.  One time, actually just a few weeks ago.  I got an online message from Acer that they had detected a "problem" with my computer and they would take care of it remotely.  I assumed it was a virus.  My computer went into "update" mode and then I got a message that that problem had been addressed.