Trusted Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I've got a call blocker and I have a phone with a built-in call blocker.  They have both helped to greatly reduce calls like this.

However, one evening while I was fixing dinner, and before I got the call blockers, the phone rang.  I knew it was the "guy from Microsoft" because I recognized the number from earlier in the day.

I called my husband and he answered.  Kept the guy on the line for 30 minutes, while he was waiting for dinner to be finished.  That was one angry scammer, LOL.

@onlyshopsonline  That's a great one, I gotta try that.

Respected Contributor

I am often tempted to keep a robo caller on the phone just yaking away.  I figure if I keep him talking then he may not have time to make another call that's next in line.

Honored Contributor

I can't wrapped head around this.  I can't see talking to them, yeah yeah.  It's no big deal, in this day and age, sadly we all get those calls.   I pretty the vast majority of people just hang up and get back to whatever we were doing.  Why would anyone engage them in conversation?  

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Well, sometimes you have to answer the phone because it's the repairman telling you "he's on the way"...............but I always use my crackling 100-year-old "voice" when I pick up a number I don't recognize.

@DesertdiWoman LOL If I need to get the phone I talk like a little kid. They hang up every time.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I can't wrapped head around this.  I can't see talking to them, yeah yeah.  It's no big deal, in this day and age, sadly we all get those calls.   I pretty the vast majority of people just hang up and get back to whatever we were doing.  Why would anyone engage them in conversation?  

@chrystaltree   See my post above.

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I answered because the call showed up as local...wrong.The man with a very nice accent told me my computer had a virus.I told him I loved his accent and asked if he would repeat something for me...I am a scammer.he hung up on me,bless his heart.

Good one - ha. 

Our first call like that came about two years ago and then the floodgates opened.  We purchased a call blocking device which has been helpful.  Unfortunately, the scammers keep changing names/numbers.  I think scam phone calls have become a really serious problem.  I don't know what the solution is.  I feel for those who are taken in by these people.  

Honored Contributor

It seems these calls for me go in cycles - I'll go through a period with no such calls.  Then all of a sudden they begin again and then for a couple of weeks, one day a week I get the same calls.  The minute the voice comes on the line and starts out "this is blabla person from microsoft, your computer has a virus". 

I slam the phone as loud as I can.

NEVER and I mean NEVER give into these people.  They con y ou into signing into your computer and before you know it, you're giving them your credit card number to charge hundreds of dollars for their monitoring package. 

Do not entertain these people.  Change your sign-in and password credentials immediately.  Report the call to your local Attorney General's office.  It won't be the first time hearing from you that they've heard this story.

Ignore the call. Slam the phone in their ear.  Do not engage in conversation.  Do not even speak or say anything to the caller.  Cut them off.  SLAM THE PHONE.

Honored Contributor

If the caller ID comes through out of town, I pick up, do NOT speak and press and hold the # key.

It mimics a fax tone and helps get your number deleted from their records.  They want live ppl, not fax lines.

However, they are now SO tricky that the caller ID shows your OWN township!  If I answer, and find a scammer/seller...I STILL PRESS and HOLD THE # KEY!

Nothing like that high pitched squeal coming through their head sets to encourage them to delete you.

It has cut down drastically on the calls.  So much for all those "Do Not Call" lists!

As my mother aged, she continually fell prey to their schemes.  We all know, it is not as simple as telling an aging parents to hang up, not answer, not give info. out etc.

Super Contributor

Haven't had a problem since I got rid of my land line.   I am a happy and scam free Tracfone user.

Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

I've got a call blocker and I have a phone with a built-in call blocker.  They have both helped to greatly reduce calls like this.

However, one evening while I was fixing dinner, and before I got the call blockers, the phone rang.  I knew it was the "guy from Microsoft" because I recognized the number from earlier in the day.

I called my husband and he answered.  Kept the guy on the line for 30 minutes, while he was waiting for dinner to be finished.  That was one angry scammer, LOL.

I also just bought a Panasonic phone  from HSN with Call Block.. Best thing ever! You just push the button everytime they call. Sometimes they use different numbers for this reason.. but the call block will store up to 250 numbers at any one time so you can just block them away.