Honored Contributor

I answered because the call showed up as local...wrong.The man with a very nice accent told me my computer had a virus.I told him I loved his accent and asked if he would repeat something for me...I am a scammer.he hung up on me,bless his heart.

Esteemed Contributor

Was that "JOHN" from India?   He's called 3 times - says my computer is giving off a signal and he can see what's on my computer.  He hung up when I told him....I didn't have a computer.  (SLAM WENT THE PHONE)   I read on here that some other lady told him the same thing...and SLAM!

Trusted Contributor

@dex wrote:

I answered because the call showed up as local...wrong.The man with a very nice accent told me my computer had a virus.I told him I loved his accent and asked if he would repeat something for me...I am a scammer.he hung up on me,bless his heart.

@dex  I've had that before also, I remember it well.  After he blabbered through the whole story, I said 'thanks for playing, I've heard this before - Have a nice day'.  Dial tone came next. haha

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Was that "JOHN" from India?   He's called 3 times - says my computer is giving off a signal and he can see what's on my computer.  He hung up when I told him....I didn't have a computer.  (SLAM WENT THE PHONE)   I read on here that some other lady told him the same thing...and SLAM!

@fthunt  good one.  I'll have to try that next time.

Respected Contributor

@dex I love that.  That's so awesome.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

I don't agree with talking to scammers, but that's funny

Honored Contributor

Well, sometimes you have to answer the phone because it's the repairman telling you "he's on the way"...............but I always use my crackling 100-year-old "voice" when I pick up a number I don't recognize.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@dexIt is so easy to make a phone call look like it's local.

At one time, I had a Magic Jack device and installed it on my computer.  I could choose what area code I wanted to use.  I live in PA and I changed my area code to one used in CA once to make a few inquiries about some rental properties. I wanted to make it look like I was already located in CA.

I didn't want  be bothered with calls from the brokers forever.  If they have your phone number and you expressed an interest, they bug the heck out of you.  

i loved that you turned the tables on him and he hung up.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Well, sometimes you have to answer the phone because it's the repairman telling you "he's on the way"...............but I always use my crackling 100-year-old "voice" when I pick up a number I don't recognize.

Many times I answer the phone and the caller asks if my Mommy is home.  I have been told I have a young sounding voice, but never guessed it was that young.  Maybe I should pretend I am a kid and put the phone down and say. " I'll go get her" and never return unti they hang up..

Trusted Contributor

I've got a call blocker and I have a phone with a built-in call blocker.  They have both helped to greatly reduce calls like this.

However, one evening while I was fixing dinner, and before I got the call blockers, the phone rang.  I knew it was the "guy from Microsoft" because I recognized the number from earlier in the day.

I called my husband and he answered.  Kept the guy on the line for 30 minutes, while he was waiting for dinner to be finished.  That was one angry scammer, LOL.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"