Super Contributor

I didn't know which forum to put this under...LOL! My elderly mom is in the rest home, and still walks with a walker, I would like to get her a decent pair of comfy shoes to wear during the day. Not house shoes, but maybe sneaker-like, bonus points if she doesn't have to tie them. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Too many to mention, e.g, Bzees, Easy Spirit, etc., etc.,  but check out Orthofeet--free shipping and returns.

Respected Contributor

@nanny24 

how about any of the Skecher Slip On sneaker types in the washable fabric knit type so they can be washed periodically? Or, if she can manage more structured shoes, just the slip on regular sneakers....

I wouldn't wear them ( not because I don't like the idea for any reason, but I want to bend down as long as I am able to!!) but I thought they'd be good for anyone who can NOT bend down to tie laces.

they'd stay on her feet too....opposed to mules or slipper type shoes....

Q sells them, so does the Big "A"...

Trusted Contributor

@nanny24 

Look at the 'Billy' brand shoes here, that just zip up, while sitting in a chair.

I have 2 pair and they were a godsend after surgery.

I still wear them 'cause they're so easy to get on. The video explains it, but all you do is zip them up!

BTW, they always have some styles on sale, but you may find them cheaper elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

@nanny24,

I wear Keds sneakers and they are so cushiony and supportive.

I don't like to bend down either so I take out the laces and put in those curly elastic laces then lace them in but I don't tie them. I leave them where I can just slip my foot in so I never have to tie. 

Curly Twister Elastic No-Tie Shoelaces - Solid Colors/One Size Fits Most

The sneakers and ties are sold all over-Amazon, Walmart, DSW, Zappos. You can get them in leather which are heavier and canvas.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

I didn't know which forum to put this under...LOL! My elderly mom is in the rest home, and still walks with a walker, I would like to get her a decent pair of comfy shoes to wear during the day. Not house shoes, but maybe sneaker-like, bonus points if she doesn't have to tie them. Any and all suggestions welcome! Thank you!

@nanny24 I always consult with the folks at the nursing home.  They will be able to tell you what works.

And usually they have so many clothes and get them all mixed up even with names that you don't need to buy much.  

Valued Contributor

My mom is in her 80s and still gets around great - she loves her Easy Spirit Traveltime mules, she has been wearing them for years, just slip on and go. I am in my 50s and have several pairs that I wear in Fall/Winter months when too cold for flip flops.

HSN sells these, DSW, and even JCPenney; probably even "A".

Frequent Contributor

My mother was in a nursing home and memory care for the last ten+ years of her life. We bought her shoes at Buck & Buck which is an online shop for adaptive clothing. You can get many clothing items, slippers and shoes that are easy on and off. They also label everything for you which is very important. 

The shoes are made for people that need wide toe boxes, Velcro closure, and good gripping soles. They are fast at shipping too. 

Honored Contributor

@nanny24.  Any good quality (judge by price) walking shoe ought give mom the support ans stability she needs.  Do not by Skechers as they have no support.   Don't fall for any "fashion" shoe.  You shoe be able to find one with a slip on closure. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@KingstonMom. I have a pair of the "Billy" shoes but, since the zipper is on the outside, I can't get it up because I can't bend my knee.  It doesn't zip easily.  I end up tying them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment