Honored Contributor

Re: China’s ports could spoil Christmas

@depglass    Since the goods we need like our TVs, refrigerators, computers, telephones, small appliances and thousands of other things are made no place else, we really don't have much choice, do we?  It's not a matter of fault; it a matter of no choice.  I wouldn't classify a $2,000 refrigerator as "cheap goods".  Electronics are pretty pricey too. 

As for quality, the Chinese seem to be using the tactic of "planned obsolescence" that US manufacturers used for years. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Our quest for the absolute cheapest everything.has encouraged manufacturers to give us what we want. We have put up with poor quality until the Chinese manufacturers get the hang of it and produce decent quality goods.  14 years ago we built this house and put in Maytag appliances, all coincidentally were produced in China. The dishwasher and refrigerator failed completely and had to be replaced.  The microwave and range had repairs early in their lives. The clothes washer had two repairs over the years.  Our trip to our local independent appliance dealer had Maytag bringing their production back to the US.  I have no idea who is making Maytag appliances now. I'm not anti-China and many items I wear and use come from there. But if there's a choice we will buy American. 

That's great, but the problem with this theory today is that even things that are 'made' here are really (usually) just 'assembled' here with parts from around the world.

Honored Contributor

The problem here is lack of labor at the ports.

Just like in almost every industry these days.

And at some ports in OR & WA protesters have blocked roads in & out.

What good is shopping early?    

Whether you do it online or in person, if there are no products on the shelf, you are out of luck.

No matter what the problem, slow or no shipping out of China, fewer employees in the  stores or whatever, this Christmas is not going to be "normal"

Honored Contributor

I'd have a wonderful Christmas even if I did not buy or receive one single gift because Christmas is not about gifts.  I'm an adult, I don't belive in Santa.  All I need is my tree and my decorations, good food, Christmas music and Hallmark movies,  my friends and my family to celebrate with me.  

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure how to say this, but not being able to buy more "stuff" would never spoil Christmas for me.  And not receiving any gifts or being able to give them, would not spoil Christmas for me.

China (or any other country, including the U.S.) does not define Christmas for me.  I won't be scrambling to buy anything early, just for the sake of it.

Honored Contributor

I buy ftom Etsy, local stores, or designers.

Honored Contributor

There is no way that such a crushing pandemic would not have myriad adverse consequences. Patience is the order of the day. I actually think that our particular economy has weathered the storm rather well and that consumers are going to be the driver behind a boom. They are already buying like crazy after being pent up for so long. Disclaimer: I understand that of course there are those suffering financially.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Christmas can't be spoiled by stuff.  Unless someone lets it. 

Food, clothing, heat, light, gas, yes.  Stuff?  No. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@depglass wrote:

We, the consumers, are responsible for this pickle.

@depglass    How in the world do you reach that conclusion? 

At least part of it is because of consumers.

Consumers vote. Those who don't vote rely on those who do.

Elected politicians make the laws, increase tariffs, maintain international relationships or not, etc. 

Lack of appropriate international relationships, and trade relationships, will affect the priority of exporting products to the U.S. Big business gives priority to companies spending the most $$ for the lowest cost in other countries just like they do here.

Covid caused delays, though that's not consumers' fault.

Tariffs hurt our ability to export. If it costs too much to buy from us, they go elsewhere. If we don't buy from other countries, they don't buy from us. And the U.S. is no longer a manufacturing country so we rely on other countries more and more.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It won't spoil my Christmas. I don't have little children any more  expecting specific toys but after last Christmas if I can spend it with my family I will be happy.