Respected Contributor

We still have cable.  Over the past 3/4 years I got nice, new flat screen tvs.  Then last year, the ******  cable company required ugly boxes.  We get two free for two years.  So one of my tvs I can't even use without paying the extra for a box.  I know it's not much.  It's just annoying and the boxes are to ugly and big to go in my kitchen.  Have thought about Roku for that tv, but don't know enough about it.   I feel for people that have tvs on a wall and then have to have one of tnose boxes.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree.  dropping cable or satellite has no effect on your landline or WiFi.  I dropped mine and my phone and WiFi remain unchanged.  The only difference is $113. off my monthly bill.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

I have internet and basic cable thru Comcast. I only kept cable because the bill would have been higher with just internet. I have a Roku with Netflix and Hulu and watch them more than cable. 

Frequent Contributor

@Mom2Dogs buy your own router. It pays for itself in about 3 months. Just check your cable provider and find out which ones are compatible. Best Buy also has a list to help you. 

Respected Contributor

Yes, we have a package deal thru Comcast.  Yes, it is very expensive.  I cringe everytime I get the email that he paid the bill.  I keep reading about all the various options posters are mentioning.  However, DH thinks we have a large healthy money tree in the back yard and is very hard headed about exploring alternatives.

Honored Contributor

Have satellite provider and get all Fox Sports channels along with the 250 channel package. Order Center Ice Package every hockey season. It costs me less than $2 per games to watch my NHL team play their 82 game season. If I count all the other NHL games I have available to watch? Probably less the $.25 per game.

I love my in home entertainment, and much of it will not be found on Roku or Firestick. Amazon Prime we have and can watch a lot of free movies via streaming or downloading to watch at a later date. No way am I giving it up to save money. Can cut back on other things if it ever becomes necessary.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I cancelled cable 6 years ago and went with a satellite.  I'm so glad I did.  My bill is 1/2 of what cable would charge me.

Occasional Contributor

We have cable and dislike the high costs that keep going up too. But would rather have it than other things that are popular.  Would just cut back in other ways.

Honored Contributor

I just read about a wireless antenna that you buy for $36 with no monthly fee; you can pickup broadcast towers that are within 30 miles of your home; am tempted to try it; we have Spectrum and hate the service which is not reliable and the cost which seems to be going up for no reason. A friend pulled the plug on cable; went with another wireless antenna and could not pick up much of anything since she lives pretty far away from broadcast towers...she tried to go back to cable and they wanted to jack up the price as punishment for leaving; told her they only had "deals" for new customers. What a scam!

Honored Contributor

@AndiCat...we rent the modem/router for $10.00 a month, I thought we paid $20.00.  ...Best Buy wants $130.00+ to purchase, so it is more than a few months, but will be worth it to purchase  in the long run.