Honored Contributor

Re: CONFESSION; I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM

Thanks for replies, suggestions and stories of your experiences. I haven't ruled out taking the class, but definitely hesitating. It starts on July 1st, so I have time to think about it. 

Honored Contributor

My parents made sure I could swim because we used to get off the school bus at the pier with swim suits on under out dresses and play in the Pacific Ocean when I was in about 3rd grade.  There was no adult supervision.  I think I can still swim although I haven't done it in years.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus My mother had a scare when she was a child in the ocean and never learned to swim either.  So as an adult in her mid fifties many years ago she took a class at the local Y with a neighbor. Even after a series of classes still couldn't swim.  She couldn't overcome her fear.

I told her that if you can stand in 3' of water in a pool then hold on to the edge, kick your feet, put your face in the water and let go you can float!...and if you think you are sinking then just stand up since it's only 3' of water.  It still did no good.

Good luck with lessons when you get a chance.  

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

Synchonizing arms and legs is not the important thing here.  Learning to float and tread water is.  You won't be joining the Olympic swim team, so find lessons that put you in "survival" mode.  Hate to even use that word, but then you are open to more opportunities like taking a cruise for example.  Or going on a friend's boat.  If you can tread water and keep your wits about you, someone will get you out.  

@depglass So true and so very important!  Back when I was in my early 20s I went with some friends to a lake.  We had a motor boat and a rowboat.  Some of us (me) were in the rowboat being pulled by rope with the motorboat.  Well we got silly and rocked the boat and it filled with water...we went under.  I was wearing a denim jacket and jeans.  

Now I'm not a good swimmer and my arms & legs are very uncoordinated when it comes to swimming but I know how to tread water and used all of my strength to pull myself up (denim gets VERY HEAVY when wet).  Once up I was able to swim to the motor boat and pull myself in...the rest of my group thank goodness was okay too....yes we were stupid kids but I believe knowing how to swim (or float or tread water) as a basic life skill.

Respected Contributor

My dad served in the Navy during the Korean War.  He was the flag man on the USS Yorktown and he didn't know how to swim!  

Honored Contributor

If you happen to be a water sign - Pisces, Cancer, or Scorpio - that should give you an extra boost.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus - I hope you do take the class! When I met DH he didn't know how to swim, even though one of his summer jobs was piloting a cruise boat on a lake. I was incredulous- I grew up on the water and never knew anyone who couldn't swim! After we were married I tried to teach him, but that didn't work, so he took lessons at the college I taught for. Now he can make it across the pool and back! 

My mom almost made the Olympics. She was an excellent swimmer and diver and I loved to watch her. She made sure we started lessons early. I was on a team, and taught. My brother was a lifeguard.  

Swimming relaxes me. There is nothing like it!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

If you happen to be a water sign - Pisces, Cancer, or Scorpio - that should give you an extra boost.

@feline groovy    OOOH!  My birthday's in July...a Cancer...water sign? Never knew that. Well, maybe a new bikini is in order afterall.

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@Shanus - I hope you do take the class! When I met DH he didn't know how to swim, even though one of his summer jobs was piloting a cruise boat on a lake. I was incredulous- I grew up on the water and never knew anyone who couldn't swim! After we were married I tried to teach him, but that didn't work, so he took lessons at the college I taught for. Now he can make it across the pool and back! 

My mom almost made the Olympics. She was an excellent swimmer and diver and I loved to watch her. She made sure we started lessons early. I was on a team, and taught. My brother was a lifeguard.  

Swimming relaxes me. There is nothing like it!  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom   Class 101 is getting our faces in the water, floating on back and treading water (I guess to save ourselves if we fell in the water). Class 102 is actual swimming. Diving? That's a definite NO. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:
@beach-mom   Class 101 is getting our faces in the water, floating on back and treading water (I guess to save ourselves if we fell in the water). Class 102 is actual swimming. Diving? That's a definite NO. 

@Shanus - You'll do fine! Floating is so relaxing, and you will master it! 

Diving was never my thing either. I had to, in order to pass certain classes. Going off the high dive was not fun for me, as I've always been afraid of heights! The last time I did that was to show my children (young at the time) I could do it! My children also went all the way through water safety instruction.  I had them in the water early. DD was a lifeguard and instructor at an indoor pool during high school and college.  DS prefers the ocean!  Smiley Happy