Trusted Contributor

Re: CONFESSION; I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SWIM

I know quite a few  people over the years that take their kids to the ocean, a lake or pools and they don't know how to swim and have no knowledge of water safety and survival.  I had a close friend in college who was a life guard for many years in the summer.  Carol saved 3 kids in the course of her being a lifeguard.  And in each case the adult or adults that were there with them did not know how to swim or have any knowledge of water safety.  After each rescue she would encourage parents/grandparents to please if you are bringing your children or grandchildren around water learn to swim and basic water safety and rescue.   Accidents happen in a split second and you can't always count on someone being there to help you.  Kids get pretty brave and can try risky things and if you don't know how to swim or how to rescue, and no one else is there to help you, the outcome could be tragic.  And yeah I know the standard reply is "I always take them to places with plenty of people".  So you rely on others to be there to jump in?  Maybe the thought that it could come down to you being the responsible one might be enough to break through your fears and learn to at least be able to rescue should the need arise. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Another non swimmer here. Very few people in my family know how. We didn't boat, or do water sports, but we had a small pool in our backyard. Even though it was only 2 or 3 feet high, I went under once. I managed to get back on my feet and get my head above the water, but it really scared me.

A few years later, I was invited to a pool party when I was about 10 years old. I slipped on the wet edge & fell in the deep end. I wasn't running around the edge. I was just standing there when I slipped & fell in. Almost drowned. Lifeguard saved me. I don't go near pools anymore. I have no interest in them. 

I love the beach and walking in the shallow water, but that's as far as I go. My DH is a great swimmer. 

Valued Contributor

I went to day camp as a kid and one day it was swimming lesson time.  I had a fear of water, no doubt from my mother being afraid of water.   Without warning, a counselor dunked my head into the pool.  Not being prepared, of course I didn't hold my breath and that, along with the surprise of it, did me in.

I tried swimming lessons as an adult, along with my husband.  He did well and can now swim and float.  I still don't like the water but, if I had to, I could swim across the pool width-wise.  Just about.  I have tried floating but hate it and feel like I will drown.

I would love to become a good swimmer.  I know it's good for us and most everyone I know can swim and loves it.  Just don't think it's in the cards for me. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I can't swim either.....took lessons with no result.    When I was a kid, some other children "dunked" me (held my head under water), in Lake Michigan.    I STILL remember that..........

@Desertdi   Kids can be very cruel, dunking someone seems to be a lot of fun but terribly dangerous.  Sadly parents seem to forget to explain to their children why they never should dunk a person.  Sorry you had to experience such cruelty.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

I cant swim either! 

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Honored Contributor

@Shanus 

I understand completely.  I have anxiety issues myself and have had for many years.  Yes, the pandemic and all things associated have been very difficult.  I have overcome many things which I never thought I could, but the swimming thing ---- I tried and tried --- and just could not reach a happy place.  Even the swim instructor said --- God bless you --- you have tried so hard, but you have such great anxiety and fear and had it instilled in you at such a young age.  For me, it was no longer worth it for all the anxiety and pain it was causing me.  But I wish you good luck! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hennypenny wrote:

Shanus, you will be so happy. You will do fine.

Some things to think about---Picture a ball or balloon floating on the water. The air is what keeps it floating. relax, it is the most heavenly feeling to relax in the water. Practice laying in bed with your arms out. Now completely relax all your muscles.

I was a long distance swimmer, life guard and swim teacher until recently.

You will meet nice people in the class and you will all be sharing a wonderful time together. 

The instructor will not ask you do do anything that makes you nervous.

Remember relax. I will be pulling for you and can't wait to hear a report after your first class.

@hennypenny   Thanks for your suggestions. I do yoga and meditate, so knowing how to relax is not an issue. Meditation has helped w/ with many anxiety issues. I practice it every day.

Don't tell DH, but my boyfriend (before I met DH) took me in his pool behind his house. We practiced for months (he was a lifeguard and his speciality was teaching kids to swim). I'd hold on to the edge of the pool and just put my face in up to my mouth and blow bubbles to get used to some of my face in the water. Then while holding me, I put my legs out and kicked in the water. I had dated him for many years and trusted him implicitly.

He took me to the deeper end of the pool saying it'd be easier for me to float and he had his arms around me and never let me go. I did master floating on my back with arms outstretched, but never w/o his arms under me. I think because there were years of trust, I knew I was safe. As promised, his arm was always under me and I could actually relax and slowly breathe while floating on my back. He had "bubbles" that fit around my arms that held my arms above the water and gave me additional confidence that I wouldn't sink. 

Trusting a lifeguard, at the gym, that I've never met and don't know.....iffy....! I'm really wanting to take this beginning "Chicken Swimming" class and I went over late yesterday to meet the "trainer" who'd be teaching. It was my weight trainer for many years before the gym had to close.YAY!!! Trust issue was there.  I had on my gym shorts and a tee. It was only the 2 of us. He suggested that we sit on the steps of the indoor pool and talk. We moved down to the other steps as we talked and he said "When you feel comfortable, let's move to the next step". The shallow end is 4 feet...almost over my head and that scared me. I have to be on tip toes to keep my head above water. He said he was giving me a private lesson before the class to help me w/ my fear. He put a floatation belt around my waist (kids' size was the only one that fit. LOL) and we ventured off the bottom step w/ him holding my arms around my wrists...I also held on to his wrists, so tightly, I think I dug my nails into his skin. We just floated around that way for about a 1/2 hour.... The water was warm and comforting, like my nightly bath and we talked about everything but swimming and the water that was all around me.

At  6'3", he towered above me and in the deeper end of the pool, his feet were touching the bottom at all times so I trusted him. Everything came to a halt when he asked if I wanted to try putting my face under while he held me. When I said NO, there was no pressure and we just kept floating around the pool. He said it was a wonderful first "private" lesson. He joked that he had held young kids bigger than me during lessons. We laughed. He was quite gentle and calming...the same repore we had when he spotted me with heavier weights..

He said he wasn't sure who'd be teaching the "Chicken" class, but if I'd like, he'd be willing to teach me privately since the trust and knowing him for years proved to alleviate some fear. I have until July to decide. The gym occupancy will be fully open then. I think I could do it with Jeremy and not a stranger. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shanus    I totally understand fear.  I am a good swimmer just because my parents made me take swim lessons in a pool where we lived... I hated it.. but I learned to love swimming  after that.  I grew up on  lake Washington  in Washington State and spent many a summer day at the beach... 

Here is my confession( fear):

I do not know how to drive on a freeway.  I have had a drivers license for over 35 years, and just drive the side streets. I do not know how to merge... or ever want to know. Never driven on a freeway and never plan to do so.  I am a good driver. 

Respected Contributor

@Shanus , I am thrilled that you had a positive base from which to start.

This trainer sound like my kind of instructor. I started my kids and students out on pool steps, bribed them with coins on each step. Knowing how to relax is the basis. swimming is so calming; stress melts away. Yes as in Yoga. I hope you continue good for the body and soul.

Honored Contributor

I'm a sinker.  Like a ton of bricks, lol.

I tried in middle school?.......Anyway, looking back, I was very allergic to the chlorine and swelled up each time. 

I guess it's something like bleach, which I can't even be around.  Tightness in throat, lungs, etc.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).