Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying eyeglasses online

I have my old pair thry are just broke. I don’t think anything has changed with my eyesight. I just need them for when I watch tv. I had the prescription from my receipt last time I just need to see if I can find it. I also sent where I had it done a email seeing if they can send it to me. 

Esteemed Contributor

I might just see if I can get my old ones fixed also. They are just bent on one side.

Trusted Contributor

Warby Parker will send you five frames so you can try them on first. I haven't used them myself but I know people who've had good luck with them.

Respected Contributor

Whenever I get glasses, they measure where my pupils are in relation to the lens by marking the lens on the frames I choose in order to get the focal point of my prescripton. I can't see how this could be done online.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

@reiki604 :  Ask your provider for your PD; alternatively, you can have a friend do it for you with a ruler.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

My Ophthalmologist is a personal friend.  He said he has never seen a good pair of glasses from an online business.  You really do have to sit in front of the optician and have the measurement done to get them right, especially if there is anything different about your prescription at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@ccassaday  Don't try to save money on your eyesight! If you haven't had an eye exam with a reputable Opthomologist in the past two years, it's time!

Get a new perscription and have it filled locally by a professional Optomist who will be able to either repair your current frames or provide you with the proper kind you need and have the lenses tailored-made to your line of sight. He/she will then fit the frames to your head and vision.

On-line doesn't provide any of those services which are so necessary for proper alignment and eyesight, especially if you are watching TV a lot. How do you know the background/schooling of those working on-line? I'd be very hesitant to use to back-alley type place for eyesight. Plus, I'm a firm believer in spending my money with local businesses and keeping community businesses alive, especially now!

Please be safe with your eyes; they are the only set you'll ever have. Be a wise consumer and shop locally for your own health and to help your community independent businesses.  

It's all tax deductable! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@patbz wrote:

@reiki604 :  Ask your provider for your PD; alternatively, you can have a friend do it for you with a ruler.

I'd rather leave something as important as my vision correction to a professional. If the provider doesn't have the glasses I want, how can they measure each eye focal point on the individual lens?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Trusted Contributor

I've been buying progressives from Zenni for about 12 years. I get a new prescription every two years, then order new glasses, usually two pairs. I never need adjustments because I buy my size. Except for a pair I accidentally sat on, none have ever broken.

I've saved thousands of dollars over the years, and don't believe I've compromised my sight or health by doing so. If you're on Facebook, look up the Zenni Optical Fan Club. You'll see many happy customers showing off their glasses. It's a public group you can view without joining.

Respected Contributor

I have about 20 pairs from Zenni - progressive lenses and prescription sunglasses.  My optometrist has glasses for sale in front of the office.  It's certainly easier to do it there but I was shocked to learn how much they mark up the glasses.  I spent $900 on one pair there.  A friend told me about her experience with Zenni so I gave it a try.  They have sales often and at the time, there was a Buy 2, Get One Free sale.  I got 3 pairs for $270. $90 for eyeglasses vs. $900?!?  I like the Zenni ones better than the expensive ones.  I wouldn't have to think very hard to find an answer as to why the optician would "poo-poo" the idea of ordering online.  They make a ton of money from selling us extremely expensive glasses!  Of COURSE they want to continue doing that.  When I tried to get my PD number from them, they asked why.  They knew why.  I said "I just spent almost a thousand dollars at your place.  I think I deserve to get my PD number."

I will never go back to getting them at the eye doctor again.  The online sites list all of the measurements - frame sizes, frame thicknesses, length, nose bridge width, etc.  If you have a wide nose and see that the ones you are currently thinking of only come in small sizes, you scoot on over to something in a bigger size.  It's very easy to do.  And if you aren't happy, you can return them.