Esteemed Contributor

Huge blessing that it was caught early. Keeping you in prayer for complete healing ❤️‍🩹 

Trusted Contributor

@friendscafe  February 2022, I was diagnosed with uterine cancer.  I had a radical abdominal hysterectomy, followed with six chemo treatments, five weeks of radiation, and three high-dose internal radiation treatments.  The radiation treatments were on my abdominal area.  The only side effect I got from the radiation was a mild case of diarrhea which Imodium AD took care of.  I don't know what the side effects are to the chest area. Your radiation team will be able to suggest a diet, if you need one.  They had me follow a low residue diet during my treatments, and that really helped with the diarrhea.  I feel fine, thank Goodness.  But I do still get fatigued certain times of the day.  I take naps.  I don't push myself.

It sounds like you're in good hands, and you caught it early.  And they have really come a long way in recent years in treating the side-effects with these treatments.  Take care, and prayers and best wishes for a full recovery.  

Valued Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer

[ Edited ]

In 2014 I was diagnosed with invasive ductal  carcinoma In the very early stage.  I had a lumpectomy and lymph nodes removed. My margins were clear and I had no lymph node involvement. My onco type number was 13, thus no need for chemo. I had radiation 5x a week for 6 weeks. I used aquaphor. By the fourth week I was burned, itchy and hurting. I inserted a very soft cotton baby burp cloth under my bra to prevent my bra from irritating my skin. I also inserted a soft cotton sock in my bra under my arm, an area that was also very burned. I was working everyday and by this time I was very fatigued. By the end of the 6 th week certain areas of my breast were beginning to bleed. Thank goodness I was almost done.  I was exhausted. 8 years later my breast still gets itchy , but I put Gold Bond anti itch cream on it and it works very well. Stay hydrated and eat well. I took anastrozole for five years. Lots of unpleasant side effects but I got through it. You will too. Keep a positive attitude and seek comfort with your family and friends. Don't hesitate to reach out and ask questions. Keep us posted on how you are feeling. Em

Contributor

Thank you so much for sharing some of your own experience. Good to know what to use when it starts burning. I was wondering why they want a good support bra but it's going to hurt to put something on it tight. I like the ideas you gave me. I am small breasted so it was hard for me to find a good support bra. I got a work out bra that seems to work. I had read that some hopitals will give you a bra to use after surgery. That would be great but not depending on that. I am praying I won't need chemo. I took my friend 3 years ago for all her chemo appointment. It was tough on her and I felt for bad for her. Life goes around I guess. I am blessed to have so many loving people around me. I appreciate it so very much. 

Respected Contributor

I had a very small tumor (1 cm) and no lymph involvement.  So lumpectomy, 6 weeks of radiation and 5 years taking Tamoxifen.  I had NO problems with radiation except for burning of the radiated area.  I was told to use Aquafor after each treatment and as needed.  The redness did not start till about halfway through.  It was like a bad sunburn. No special foods or diet changes are necessary.  I carried on as normal with no problems.  Now 7 years later I stll experience tenderness in my radiated breast.  The tissue will harden but that is all normal and I was told this would most likely occur.  Good luck to you and thank  goodness it was found early.  So important.

Trusted Contributor
My prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery. A week before this past Christmas I was diagnosed with multiple lesions in both lungs and CT Scan also showed lesions in my colon which may be primary site. Tomorrow is my PET Scan and frankly I’m a bit scared. Guess I will be finding out in a few weeks what I’m dealing with. I haven’t any idea the appropriate treatment on such a large area and multiple organs. Oh well one step at a time eh?
Valued Contributor

@Stormygirl wrote:
My prayers and best wishes for a speedy recovery. A week before this past Christmas I was diagnosed with multiple lesions in both lungs and CT Scan also showed lesions in my colon which may be primary site. Tomorrow is my PET Scan and frankly I’m a bit scared. Guess I will be finding out in a few weeks what I’m dealing with. I haven’t any idea the appropriate treatment on such a large area and multiple organs. Oh well one step at a time eh?

I am sorry you have this diagnosis. Waiting for all the scan results before learning exactly what you are dealing with is always tough. When a plan is in effect to combat this illness you will feel stronger. You are correct one day at a time. Seek emotional support from friends and family and surround yourself with positive people. There is a thread on here dedicated to cancer patients. Everyone on there either has cancer now or has had cancer. I found them very helpful while I was golng through my cancer battle. Em

Regular Contributor

Hearing the word "cancer" is always scary but thankfully medicine has made incredible strides and advances including the treatment when it comes to breast cancer.

When it comes to food and radiation generally you try and stay away from high fiber foods as loose stools can be a side effect of the treatment.

Respected Contributor
@friendscafe 💕
I wish you the very best and praying it will be as comfortable for you as possible. Please check in with us. You will be in our thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery.
Contributor

Thank you for all your information. I had my surgery on the 20th of January. Everything went well. My margins were all good and everything around the tumor was benign. I will start my radition when I am healed. I will not have to have chemo. I will be going on the same drugs as you had. This is so scary to me. I hope I don't have so many side effects that I stop before the 5 years. I already have bad knees and I know this probably won't help. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I wanted to thank everyone for all they wonderful comments and prayers. I don't know if I can or how I can put a comment in for everyone here to see. Thank you, you are all so very thoughtful and caring. One day at a time!