Respected Contributor

@friendscafe   I will keep you in my prayers, it sounds like its very small, they are taking care of it early and you are in good hands.  Pleae reach out as there are many on this site who can offer great advice from their own experiences.

I agree with your earlier post about ultrasounds.  They really should offer it as part of the normal annual tests.  I've had several over the past few years, had 4 biopsies in the last few years.  I also have dense breasts and think that the ultrasounds are so much better for a more thorough check when combined with mammograms. 

Be strong, ask for help whenever you need it, ask lots of questions to your medical team, and we will all be here cheering you on and sending you good vibes and prayers. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Contributor

Thank you so much and I am so glad you are doing so well. Happy and Healthy New Year!

Valued Contributor

@friendscafe @Six years ago,I had 28 radiation sessions following chemo and surgery for breast cancer. I was 63. The treatments were quick and not painful. My skin did become red and very itchy. I put Acquaphor cream on immediately after the treatment and wore a soft loose t shirt to drive home. I went for treatment everyday after teaching. Not a walk in the park but definetly doable. I was never told to avoid any foods.

Good luck with your surgery and future treatment. 

Valued Contributor

I wish you the absolute best and am so glad it was caught early.  Like you, I have dense breasts and always receive a letter stating so. The letter even states that regular mammograms do not always detect tumors in women with dense breasts so I've often wondered why an ultrasound was never suggested by my doctor or the breast care center.  I'm going to ask for one this year.  If I'm charged extra, so be it.  Nothing is worth the cost of my life.  Good luck to you.  docsgirl

Frequent Contributor

Yours sounds so very similar to mine. Same side and everything. I was 54 at the time and now coming up on my 10 year survivor date. I had no special diet. I had no problems with the radiation except towards the end of my treatments my skin started to burn some and had to use a cream. My mother had breast cancer a year after I did at 63 and had no problems at all. And she is doing great and her skin didn't even burn. I did my treatment at 7:00 am and then went on to work for 5 weeks. Just remember not to use deordorant, lotions, perfumes or soap on the side receiving radation before each treatment. Praying for you and stay positive.

Respected Contributor

@friendscafe , I have no advice for you but want to send best wishes.  It is so kind that others, especially those who have been through this, are reaching out to you.  🙏🙏🙏  for you.  I hope your journey is a good one.  LM

Honored Contributor

@friendscafe,

So glad they caught it early for you. I will be praying for you, keep us posted,

Sending you hugs. A  BIG HUG just for you.

Respected Contributor

Prayers for you for a full recovery. Bless you, @friendscafe.

Respected Contributor

I also get both exams and runs in my family as well.

My sister had a lumpectomy and radiation.  Not sure what she ate and not much of an ester to begin with. 

My husband has had radiation and chemo. Can't remember what he exactly ate for which treatment.  But he did like mashed potatoes with gravy.  Puddings, eggs, soups and some heartier stuff as well.  Drank protein shakes as well.  Just have a variety on hand is what I would suggest.

With his last radiation treatments he was pretty tired as it went on.  So rest and take it easy.  Tired is normal.  

Glad you found it early.  Always scares me but early detection is the key for sure.  Good luck and you got this.

I'm 67 also.

Respected Contributor

I also have dense tissue and family history.  I now have MRI's done every year.  It was suggested to me to have MRI and 3D mammogram schedule in 6 month intervals so something is being done every 6 months.  Hopefully get MRI done next month (dependent on approval, scheduling, etc) and then 3 mammorgram in August.  My Mom had breast cancer, found small and early, and had a lumpectomy with radiation.  She also took medication (one pill) for 5 years afterwards.  God bless.  Thoughts and prayers being sent.