Respected Contributor

Happy new Year Everyone!!

Yesterday I found a mistake I made in May  (didn't catch the mistake then)on my savings account and would like to know how long does a bank keep your Deposits and Withdrawal slips. I need to go back and see what I wrote. What I  should of been a deposit  but it was  a withdrawal and I know I didn't receive any money  back in that amount because I would of known what I did with it. I tried calling the bank today but of course my phone stopped working.And we are now down to one car  for now so i  will have to wait until Thursday to go to the bank. Thanks 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Here Work In A Bank?

They probably won't have the actual deposit slips, but they will definitely have a copy of the transaction.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I don't work in a bank but I am sure the bank has on file any deposits or withdrawls that you made. They probably have electronic copies. They can go back through your bank statements and see what happened Do you have acccess throgh your computer to check your statements back through the date you mentioned?  Also if you were sent a bank check they would have that. 

Frequent Contributor

I worked for a bank many years ago but I do not think things have changed that much. They will probably still have your deposit slip along with a copy of the transaction.  We used to photo all checks, deposit and withdrawal slips onto microfiche on a daily basis. The way I read your post a withdrawal was done on your account instead of a deposit but you did not receive the cash.  If that is the case the teller's cash drawer would have been "over" and the bank would also have a record of that.  Hope this helps--Karen
Trusted Contributor

Call the branch where the tranasaction took place.  A teller or brranch manager can request a copy of the transaction from the Prrof department.

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much ladies. I feel confident after reading your responses that this will wotk out in the end. I will keep you posted.Thanks  

Trusted Contributor

I'm a little confused by this honestly. If you went in to the bank to make a deposit and used a withdrawal slip instead the teller should have noticed that right away.  I'm assuming you were depositing a check? If you gave them a withdrawal slip and a check I would think they would assume you were cashing both.

Does this show on your statement as a withdrawal and there's no correction on a later date? If a teller processed a withdrawal on your account without giving you the money their drawer would be showing a diiference of an overage. They'd have to figure that out.

Honored Contributor

they have to keep checks and deposit slips for I believe 10 years.  I worked my way through college in a bank.  Then again during the summers as a young married without children.

Respected Contributor

You can go back several months on your computer but in this case you need to sit down with a bank employee to straighten it out. I am still confused as to why you deposited & it became a withdrawal unless I am not understanding the probem, but either way you need to go into your branch and find out what happened.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I'm a little confused by this honestly. If you went in to the bank to make a deposit and used a withdrawal slip instead the teller should have noticed that right away.  I'm assuming you were depositing a check? If you gave them a withdrawal slip and a check I would think they would assume you were cashing both.

Does this show on your statement as a withdrawal and there's no correction on a later date? If a teller processed a withdrawal on your account without giving you the money their drawer would be showing a diiference of an overage. They'd have to figure that out.

And it would have been done at the close of business on that day.