Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Alone on Thanksgiving?

Hello to all.  I am alone this Thanksgiving but I'm keeping myself busy.  Watching the Honeymooners marathon. Went for a two hour walk earlier.  My father passed away in 2019 and earlier this year, my 12 year old great niece took her life.  Since these deaths, what is left of my familly (just 3 of us) didn't get together after dad died and with the death of our beloved 12 year old, we don't get together on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It would be too hard, depressing and sad.   Soooo, like I said, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just like any other days of the week now.   Gotta keep busy though.   It's nice that the forums are open so we can all talk.

Honored Contributor

@newjersey    So sorry for the losses in your family.  Losing that child must be especially hard.  I can understand why it would be painful to have a gathering.  Try to have a nice day alone. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 , thank you for your kind words.  This whole year has been incredibly hard for my family and I.  But we must go on.

Trusted Contributor

@newjersey wrote:

Hello to all.  I am alone this Thanksgiving but I'm keeping myself busy.  Watching the Honeymooners marathon. Went for a two hour walk earlier.  My father passed away in 2019 and earlier this year, my 12 year old great niece took her life.  Since these deaths, what is left of my familly (just 3 of us) didn't get together after dad died and with the death of our beloved 12 year old, we don't get together on Thanksgiving and Christmas. It would be too hard, depressing and sad.   Soooo, like I said, Thanksgiving and Christmas are just like any other days of the week now.   Gotta keep busy though.   It's nice that the forums are open so we can all talk.

@newjersey 

Bless you so much.   I'm glad you found the thread.   We're all here for you in spirit and our thoughts.   I lost my father not too long ago and grieve every day for him.   Keep their loving hearts in your heart and they will be with you always.

Thank you for sharing.

Trusted Contributor

@Black Cat Back , thank you.

Trusted Contributor

@spent2much wrote:

@Black Cat Back  It's about 10 am (EST) here in Connecticut.  Just checking in on you, as I promised.  How's it going so far?  **HUGS**  Don't forget the dog show at 12 noon (EST) on NBC!  I have the Macy's Day Parade on in the background - LOL, better than nothing.  At least it's cheerful!

Talk to you later!

@spent2much 

Appreciate you checking in!!   I took a long walk, it was very windy, but made it not so warm which is a blessing here in Phoenix.  It's been an unusally warm fall this year which is not fun since we have so much heat all summer.  We want some cool days too!

Plan on eating a very late breakfast and doing my laundry. Thanks for the tip on the dog show.  I love on New Years they have the Puppy and Kitty Bowls.   Those are precious.

Will watch some football and start prepping for my pizza soon.  I like to cut all the veggies for the pizza and salad ahead of time so putting it all together is easier.  I get nuts when the kitchen is a mess.  The one good thing about being alone is if you don't clean the kitchen up for awhile, no one knows or nags you.  LOL!

Thanks again for checking in and hope you are enjoying your day.

Trusted Contributor

Was just channel surfing while cleaning my kitchen and came upon an old Cary Grant movie on AMC called "Room for One More."   It was delightful and so unlike other Cary Grant movies.  

Didn't expect that and it was nice to see an uplifting movie.  My Mom adored the old movies, so I'm sure she would have enjoyed this one too if she hadn't seen it.

Anyway, hope everyone is doing well.

Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back   The holidays are marketed for family.  No thought for the many alone people.  Do you have a NEXTDOOR in your area? You could put out a call to others in your neighborhood who are all alone....meet at a restaurant maybe the first hoiday meal....and down the road meet  at different neighbors homes when and IF that was. Comfortable. It might become a group thing....a GOOD THING❤️❤️❤️❤️

Esteemed Contributor

I hope that everyone has enjoyed a day of relaxation.  @hckynutjohn Like you, John, I enjoy my own company, often to the exclusion of others.  DH is the same way.  When we took Maui to the park today, I noticed that not one home, and we pass many, had many cars in the driveway.  It appears that most are deciding on a low-key day.  Our neighborhood is especially quiet with no one having company.

So, happy Thanksgiving to all.  

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Holidays can be hard, for those without family and sometimes for those with family. One thing I have learned through the years is to do what makes me happy, not necessarily what is expected of me. Sometimes I want to be alone.

But if you don't want to be alone, don't wait for an invite...invite someone to come to your place, or to spend the day with you.