Trusted Contributor

Any adjustable bed users here?

I need to replace my mattress and was wondering about the adjustable bed frame.

Is it worth the extra money?  Those who have it, do you like it?  TIA.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any adjustable bed users here?

I do not have one currently nor do I want another one because I could not get sheets to stay on.  I’m sure they are much improved since my last one which was several years ago.  

Respected Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

I have it, and I love it, also have a big tv in the room, and I spend a lot of time in bed. I flatten it out when I decide to sleep, so I don't have  pain in the morning. You can't move them around, and you can't sweep under them, they are over 200 lbs.

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

@DottieBlue 

I still have an adjustable bed but I  have not slept in any bed(other than 7+ days in ICU) for close to 30 years. Bought it hoping it would help my back issues after my 1st back surgery. It did not, nor did any of the several others I tried.

Discovered by happenstance that my back felt great when I fell asleep in my recliner. Decided to try full nights sleeping in it, and decades and many recliners later?  I had a 2nd back surgery and the recliner is still my choice.

The bed did help when I had a serious leg injury, which required blood vessel surgery. It made it more comfortable to keep my leg elevated during my 18 month recovery. I still did not sleep in it, I spent a lot of my day using it more in a sitting, leg elevated, with ice, position.

It now resides in our 3rd bedroom used for storing stuff, a lot of which fits nicely on the bed. Now that is just my true story, but I am sure others might have better experiences.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue  I have the Sleep Number bed!  I got the one that does everything except sing you to sleep.  (Go big or go home is my motto about everything).

I absolutely love the thing!  I have a TV that comes out from the wall on a swing arm.

I love laying in bed, eating, sitting up, watching TV.  It's one of my favorite things to do.

I can adjust how soft or hard I want the thing.  It will adjust it'self but I like to adjust it.

I have a very, very (add a few more very's) bad back.  This bed has been a God-send for me!  It's wonderful.

It doesn't help that I've always been 'sway-back'.  The bed adjusts to my back so I'm not strained laying in it.

So every morning I wake up, get me some water, feed the cats and then go back to bed.  I've slept all night with the bed tilted up, but when I come BACK to bed I lay it down flat and go back to sleep for about 1/2 hour on my side.

I have 2 fake knees (got them done at same time) so I don't lay on my stomach much.  THAT's why I get on my side (one leg bent, etc) then.

If you're thinking about getting an adjustable bed, check out all of them.

My friend has another brand and he likes his too.

Go and lay on them (every one of them).  They're all expensive but think about how much time you spend laying and sleeping.

If you're like me (who eats and drinks in the bed) it's even more time!  

I always joke that one day I'm going to be found in bed with nuts from my "Nutty-Buddy" ice cream bar and various food items in and under me. My cat Bill likes to eat the vanilla from my Creamsickle in the bed.  I put it on a plate and he joins me.

Just make sure you check all of them out.  Wait for a sale.  They're all often on sale.  Don't let anyone talk you in any particular one.

You get what works best for YOU.  One more thing.  I'm a chub...I wear a size XL or 1X on QVC so I'm not a feather.  So far (it's been about 1 1/2 years that thing has held up. 

All they are is an air mattress if you think about it, but the difference is it will move up and down, head and feet.

Mine is a Queen.  I am a widow so I didn't get split or anything.  I wanted the whole bed to move up and down and do the tricks on both sides.

If you're married you need to think about all of that. 

Make sure you do your homeword.  Please come back and let us know what you decide.  Post to me so I can see it, I'm just so nosey.  Take care! Annabellethecat

Honored Contributor

@Spacrazy As far as sheets staying on....that's another subject....

I get my sheets drycleaned and ironed.  I like them like you get in a hospital, clean and crisp.

They don't stay on very well when you put the top of the bed up (well I put it in an almost sitting position).

It plays havoc with my sheets (they'll pop up).

So, I called the Sleep Number people and she said they were coming out soon with a sheet for the bed...(hopefully to fix that problem).

But what I do is I bought one of those waffle looking things that you put under the rug to keep it from slipping.  

I put the rubber thing between the bed frame and the sheet.  It keeps it from slipping off of the frame.  You see when you tilt the bed up (to sit way up in it) that loosens the sheet.

It works great for me.  If you get one you might want to try that.  Or you can even try it with your bed you have now.

Take care ladies.  I'm going to lie in my bed now.  I feel a Nutty Buddy fit coming on.  Those @#$ nuts from that ice cream cone get under my butt and they feel like bolders.

I'll try to check back later......

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 Hey, thanks for the post but I’m not gonna be buying another bed. I’m actually downsizing (about time). But thanks for the advice.

i cannot leave without mentioning your sheet care. You are the first person I’ve ever talked to that dry cleaned sheets.  I’m gonna try it!

You always have the best ideas and I thank you. Talk soon...

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

"Discovered by happenstance that my back felt great when I fell asleep in my recliner. Decided to try full nights sleeping in it, and decades and many recliners later?  I had a 2nd back surgery and the recliner is still my choice."

My baby brother has a bad back.  He refuses to have surgery.  He also sleeps on/in a recliner.  Has done so for over 20 yrs.  He loves it!!!!  Claims his back feels so better plus he gets a good night sleep in his recliner. 

About 5 yrs ago he purchased a 2nd recliner that has a back massager.  That one he keeps in the living room.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Annabellethecat:

Thanks so much for your reply and good advice, as always.

I always enjoy reading your posts.  You have a wonderful sense of humor!  

I will keep you posted.

Trusted Contributor

Hckynut:

Thanks for your reply.  I am so glad you found something that is comfortable to sleep on.  Getting good sleep is so very important.

You also have very informative posts.

Take care.