Trusted Contributor

Re: Another debit card hack,

@Mindy D wrote:

@dogsx3 @Have you ever used Door Dash? Do you have a Door Dash account, with your email as part of your login? 

No i never used doordash, and i do not have an account there. I just called them and i had her look up my name, she said i do not have an account. ( the bank suggested i call and ask). It was used in the bay area up north at a safeway store 3 times last sat. I live in southern part of ca, was at  "In N Out" when i got text i was overdrawn. I never use any of those places. 

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 

I do hope you are able to get that card cancelled, and another one issued Soon!

Just an aside, I use a Debit card on to which I place a small amount of $250.00 at a time.  It is NOT attached to any of my bank accounts.

I only use it to pay for things on line by going through PAYPAL.

I have done this for over 20 years without a single problem.  Even pay bills on line this way.  Easy to add funds as needed.

I hope this is corrected soon.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe wrote:

@dogsx3 

I do hope you are able to get that card cancelled, and another one issued Soon!

Just an aside, I use a Debit card on to which I place a small amount of $250.00 at a time.  It is NOT attached to any of my bank accounts.

I only use it to pay for things on line by going through PAYPAL.

I have done this for over 20 years without a single problem.  Even pay bills on line this way.  Easy to add funds as needed.

I hope this is corrected soon.

Yes waiting for new debit card,, thanks for the great idea ! 

Honored Contributor

@dogsx3 @Have considered closing the account and reopening the same kind of account at the same bank...different branch? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Drythe @I had one of these once. They are a good idea. I suggest a bit higher limit so you can use it in an emergency that might require you do so. This is also a good idea to use for restaurant and grocery delivery, CVS, Dr. visit copays and Amazon orders. I think mine was a prepaid card so a company could not keep charging my bank. I never even thought of using it for PayPal. Great idea. Since you have reminded me about it, I think I'm going to get another one. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dogsx3 @Also, if you have a pin you are required to use when calling the bank or for registering a new credit card that's been mailed to you, change the pin while you at the bank. The bank has you key the pin into a machine and the teller can't see what you put in. 

Esteemed Contributor

Have been using a Debit Card for over 40 years and was only hacked once. I live in Georgia and the Supermarket purchases were made in Fl.

All I can say is that I'm Blessed.  Everytime I ask my brother in law how he's doing he says "I'm Blessed"

If it happens to me again, I will just get another one.

Respected Contributor

@silkyk 

Inside job for sure.  This happened with a regular credit card that my sister used at a gas station.  First, her original credit card was hacked at the pump.  Then when she called the credit card company they sent her a new credit card with new #.  Within a few days, that new card had fraudulent charges....before she got to use it:  inside job.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@Mindy D  "This is also a good idea to use for restaurant"

No it isn't UNLESS YOU personallly take the debit card to the cashier.

You should NEVER give a debit card to a waiter/waitress for them to take to the casheir.  Use cash at restaurants.  Use a credit card as a last resort at restaurants.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Super Contributor

My sister-in-law was hacked last week for almost $800! It was over 4 days for around $200 each! When bank representative asked if she was sure she didn’t make these charges to TicK Tock she laughed and said “I don’t even know what that is” I know it is video or something on internet but didn’t know you paid for it!!