Valued Contributor

I have always bought white albacore tuna in water. Usually Starkist or Chicken of the Sea. Something has changed, though, in the last couple of years. It used to be nice large chunks of white tuna and the water in the can drained easily. Now, what I am getting is mushier and I almost have to press it in a strainer to get the water out. It's just not the quality that it used to be. I have just quit buying it.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I to have noticed that the  quality has changed as you noted.

Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal 

That's because Chicken of the Sea is now owned and processed by a company in Thailand.

Starkist is now owned and processed by a company in South Korea.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

I find that the Costco/Kirkland brand 0f Albacore in water still has large chunks of tuna and very little water. Pricey but worth it to me.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

i had same issue with those brands.

then  by accident i found walmart brand.

whole tuna slice.....no mush or pieces.

pure white

amazingly awesome!

wmtuna.jpg

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Respected Contributor

I agree. I buy Bumble Bee Heritage Pack 7 ounce white tuna if I can find it.

Honored Contributor

We have been very pleased with Wegmans brand. 

Esteemed Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

I find that the Costco/Kirkland brand 0f Albacore in water still has large chunks of tuna and very little water. Pricey but worth it to me.

@mac116 - Agree - that is the only brand we buy now.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Albacore Tuna - Changed

[ Edited ]

I have always bought Bumblebee, however Ithe texture of the solid white albacore has been off  and mushy .  ll try the Costco as recomended  by another poster. Thanks for FYI

Respected Contributor

I found that the best canned albacore tuna in water in my area is the Acme supermarket generic brand called Signature.  Other posters also mention store brands, maybe they are all from the same manufacturer.