Respected Contributor

I like Cento albacore in olive oil.  Don't need to add any mayo.  I make tuna salad with it.  Great for sandwiches or to stuff a tomato with.  🍞🍅

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Contributor

I have also quit buying Albacore tuna for the reasons you mentioned, but also I have recently read from reliable medical sources, that Albacore tuna has more mercury than other tuna, which is not good for human beings.  So I now buy tuna that is not Albacore. 

Honored Contributor

Is everyone here an albacore purist?   

My mother always mixed one can of Albacore and one can of Light with the usual fixings.  I've also done this for years and love the way it comes out.

Honored Contributor

I was always under the impression that albacore tuna was the best, but I recently learned that since they are a large fish they have higher levels of mercury.  A better, less mercury, choice would be skipjack or chunk light.  

Valued Contributor

Costco, Kirkland brand is the only tuna I will buy now.  Solid not mushy,  Well worth the price.

Trusted Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Sapphiregal 

That's because Chicken of the Sea is now owned and processed by a company in Thailand.

Starkist is now owned and processed by a company in South Korea.

@KingstonsMom 

Well, that is a good reason to NOT buy those products even if they had nothing wrong with them.  Thanks for posting.

Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels here on earth to teach us to be better humans.
Honored Contributor

@Sapphiregal,

I know what you mean that it has changed.

My daughter got the kirkland brand from Costco and it is the best I've ever tasted.

Walmart brand is good too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@Sapphiregal wrote:

I have always bought white albacore tuna in water. Usually Starkist or Chicken of the Sea. Something has changed, though, in the last couple of years. It used to be nice large chunks of white tuna and the water in the can drained easily. Now, what I am getting is mushier and I almost have to press it in a strainer to get the water out. It's just not the quality that it used to be. I have just quit buying it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@Sapphiregal  

THANK YOU for bringing this topic up! .. & increasing my awareness!

I easily become "protein deprived," so it's critical I keep *quick* "Starkist Albacore Tuna" Lunch kits in the fridge for those sudden times. 

For years, I've been getting these kits on "Amz Subscribe" (in Albacore).

StarKist Lunch To-Go Chunk White Mix Your Own Tuna Salad, 4.48 Oz, Pack of 12

Then, suddenly, for the last numerous months, Starkist Albacore *canned* "snack packs" were difficult, to impossible to find, most anywhere....

...so Amz started sending Albacore *POUCH* "snack packs" instead.

It never occurred to me, but .....now,   I see why!..

. . . as *cans,* Starkiss kits offered obvious *solid pieces of Albacore tuna*..... Not so with "POUCHES!"    They can get away without solid pieces in a pouch!

VERYYYY interesting! ... and V*E*R*Y   *S N E A K Y*!!   

hmmm...

Thanks again!!

Feelings are simply human
How we deal with, ..or express those feelings .. is our choice
. ~ . Please be kind . ~ .

Honored Contributor

I have stopped buying Starkist and Chicken of the Sea also Walmart brand.

I recommend Yellow Fin from Amazon or Wild Planet.  I mostly get Yellow Fin in olive oil.  A little more expensive but worth it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Super Contributor

@Sapphiregal  Aldi albacore tuna, best I have found in my neck of the woods, great price too. I also buy Star Kist yellow fin tuna in extra virgin olive oil from Amazon.