Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for the inspiration.  She’s a beautiful lady. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet. Look at Tao’s face. She’s also facing age wrinkles and all...another very important point.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

To me all of this "age is just a number" is not very helpful.  Age is getting older and for most of us losing a lot of physical and often mental capabilities.  To me, it belittles those who do have problems associated with age-related issues, and sort of implies that they just don't get with it.

I would love to see this culture accept getting older.  We swing from one extreme to the other on the issue:  Either you are older and worthless or you are 97 and run around like you are 20.  So where is the reality of being in your 60's and older?  It is a unique process to each of us.  I wish we could just accept and value people for who they are and where they are in life. 

@Sooner Sorry if seeing the photo of an older woman in good health and spirits somehow turned you off.

Is it not helpful to have aspirations of health and being active at 97? Of course, she’s not the norm, but serves just as an example of what could be. 

I’m 69, for at least several more weeks, and have always believed age is just a number. I’ve been fortunate not to have physical/mental illnesses that have kept me down. Oh, I’ve certainly had my share, but refuse to give into them. I have severe hearing loss, wear my hearing aids and move on. Thyroid? Take my meds, same w/ watching my sugar intake and exercise, keeping weight down because both parents had/have diabetes.

Genes can be overcome sometimes. I don’t use heredity as an excuse to accept defeat.

The photo didn't turn me off, the very dismissive attitude about many people with severe problems caused by getting older turns me off.  It has nothing to do with excuses, health habits or anything else THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR!  Getting old isn't a lifestyle choice and a lot of people have issues because they are old.  Or because they worked hard and wore their bodies out or because they couldn't cope with lots of life issues and a proper diet or because they are poor--poverty does that to a person sometimes.

Lots of people have hard lives and weak bodies that generate problems as they age for many reasons, not just because they aren't aware enough not to be healthy. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner. I apologize if the photo made you feel badly because of your circumstances. 

Honored Contributor

You can feel her radiance through the photo..... what a beautiful woman.  Woman Happy

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have never and will ever subscribe to chronological years defining my physical and mental capabilities. Way too many count years and use them as reasons(I call them excuses) of why they no longer do things they always enjoyed doing.

For many it is just plain laziness, for others, you name it, they got it! IT being a sore whichamadigger. I have met many age doubters at the ice rink in the last year, and love hearing it as often as they want to say it.

As the saying goes:

"Getting Old is not for Sissies"

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Nice for her. Energy when fighting cancer or a lifetime of a devastating illness tends to make a person want to do away with bumper sticker platitudes about aging and energy. And yes, I envy her good health.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1

Way too many blame genetics for every excuse they can dream up, and I think I have heard all of them. I hear way too often: " you're lucky/ blessed/fortunate" and all other such comments. If only they knew of my road over the last 15+ years to all that "luck, blessed and fortune".

My genetics certainly are anything butt! In spite of them I chose decades ago to take as good care of every part of body as possible, even with my desire to compete in several things that are not the best choices for keeping all the physical pieces safe from injury.

Lifestyle/Desire/Commitment/Dedication/Hard Work, and Eternal Optimism were and are their for most if they use them soon enough, the sooner the better, but my view is "it's never too late" to do something, anything but bemoan your situation. I am not speaking to or about anyone with physical or mental disabilities, just those that always have reasons to tell others, their age or older: "I wish I was as lucky/blessed as you are"! Phooey on that nonsense!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

To me all of this "age is just a number" is not very helpful.  Age is getting older and for most of us losing a lot of physical and often mental capabilities.  To me, it belittles those who do have problems associated with age-related issues, and sort of implies that they just don't get with it.

I would love to see this culture accept getting older.  We swing from one extreme to the other on the issue:  Either you are older and worthless or you are 97 and run around like you are 20.  So where is the reality of being in your 60's and older?  It is a unique process to each of us.  I wish we could just accept and value people for who they are and where they are in life. 

@Sooner Sorry if seeing the photo of an older woman in good health and spirits somehow turned you off.

Is it not helpful to have aspirations of health and being active at 97? Of course, she’s not the norm, but serves just as an example of what could be. 

I’m 69, for at least several more weeks, and have always believed age is just a number. I’ve been fortunate not to have physical/mental illnesses that have kept me down. Oh, I’ve certainly had my share, but refuse to give into them. I have severe hearing loss, wear my hearing aids and move on. Thyroid? Take my meds, same w/ watching my sugar intake and exercise, keeping weight down because both parents had/have diabetes.

Genes can be overcome sometimes. I don’t use heredity as an excuse to accept defeat.

@Shanus...age is only just a number to those who have no idea the ravages of a chronic, progressive medical condition. Genes often cannot be overcome. 

Just another side to the coin.

Honored Contributor

@chiclet

Yep! It's always the Genes!  Couldn't be lifestyle or hard work.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)