Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogsas I said in a previous post, see an Electrophysiologist who is a cardiologist who specializes in Afib. There are risks factors that determine whether you need to go on a blood thinner or not, those you can find on line. I read an article that if you have all the risk factors and you don't go on a blood thinner you are at very high risk, 4 times higher than someone without the risk factors. Also, that article said ASA is not going to help prevent a stroke if you have those factors and are not in rhythm. My doctor says the same thing, in fact my doctor said it was up to me if I wanted to take the blood thinner or not. I asked her what she would do if she was in the same situation, and she said," well I would take the drug, because if I had a stroke and didn't die , I would wish I was dead because the stroke could be that devastating". I take warfarin. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

I have A-FIB almost daily and the cardiologist placed me on medication that increased the A-FIB; a rare side affect.  Is there any procedure or helpful advice from anyone who has this heart disease? The med he had me on starys with a P, unfortunatally I threw it out so I don't recall the entire name, Awaiting another office visit, but in the meantime I thought I would check in here.

Have a great day.

I do not have this, but I do have a friend that does.   She had a pacemaker put in and also had the surgery.  She is doing fine.  Some of these Meds can have nasty side effects,  but sometimes it takes time to see what works for you.  I always have side effects that the Dr's never heard of.  My DR put me on Statins and I was covered in a rash after 2 months.  He swore it was not from the statins.  Really???  Funny after I stopped the rash went away.  I tried it again and guess what?  Back it came.  I am done.  No more statins for me.

Respected Contributor

My first job as an RN was in a cardiac intensive care unit.  At the time, anticoagulants were not protocol for anyone in a-fib.

I had a patient in his 40's that had a heart attack.  Sometimes as a result of a heart attack, a person develops abnormal heart rhythms.  Overnight this man went into a-fib.  In and of itself, not a major problem for him.  Except, he developed a blood clot that lodged in his brain and caused a massive stroke.  He was alert and aware, but paralyzed on one side, could not speak, and it was horrible.

His doctor was devastated that he had not made the decision to use an anticoagulant.  Again, it was not protocol for all at the time.  This patient was a total mess.

My dad is in a-fib and has been on warfarin for a long time.  The idea of having a stroke is scary enough to have most people decide to take anticoagulants.

A-fib can have its own set of problems.  Strokes are worse.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003...thanks for the personal story....puts things into perspective of my question about asprin vs blood thinner.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl

My DH has A-fib.  When diagnosed he didn't even know it; an irregular heartbeat was noted by his doctor when being examined for a colonoscopy.  Needless to say that was postponed and he was scheduled for an appointment with a cardiologist immediately after.

He takes Warfarin daily along with Fleckanide and a baby aspirin.  He is checked monthly for his INR levels and sometimes has to take an extra Warfarin or not take one for a day and that keeps his levels where they need to be.  He avoids foods high in Vit. K except for the occasional spinach salad.  He may have one every month or two. 

He has regular appointments with his cardiologist and at the last appointment his doctor was pleased to report his heart was in regular rhythm ... no A-fib was present.  So, the meds are working.

I hope your doctor finds a medication that helps keep your A-fib in check.  If one doesn't work perhaps another one will.  Don't give up.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

There are many blood thinners out there these days that do not require monthly monitoring.Warfarin and the like are very very old school

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

@Calcgirl

My DH has A-fib.  When diagnosed he didn't even know it; an irregular heartbeat was noted by his doctor when being examined for a colonoscopy.  Needless to say that was postponed and he was scheduled for an appointment with a cardiologist immediately after.

He takes Warfarin daily along with Fleckanide and a baby aspirin.  He is checked monthly for his INR levels and sometimes has to take an extra Warfarin or not take one for a day and that keeps his levels where they need to be.  He avoids foods high in Vit. K except for the occasional spinach salad.  He may have one every month or two. 

He has regular appointments with his cardiologist and at the last appointment his doctor was pleased to report his heart was in regular rhythm ... no A-fib was present.  So, the meds are working.

I hope your doctor finds a medication that helps keep your A-fib in check.  If one doesn't work perhaps another one will.  Don't give up.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox

While there are other blood thinners "out there these days" there is not a one of them I would use. I was on Coumadin/Warfarin for 7+ years, and it was far from a monthly INR/ProTime blood draw.

Average for me over those 7+ years? Never less than 3 times a week, some weeks all 7 days. Not "finger pokes", but full blood draws. Finger pokes proved for me to be too inaccurate, thus full blood draws. 

Should a blood thinner be imperative for me today? The "new ones out there today", would not even cross my mind, it would once again be Coumadin/Warfarin, in spite of maybe daily blood draws.

Once a month blood draws to me is a small price to pay for a long proven, effective blood thinner. The same cannot be said for Eliquis/Prodaxa or Xarelto.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)