Trusted Contributor

I have A-FIB almost daily and the cardiologist placed me on medication that increased the A-FIB; a rare side affect.  Is there any procedure or helpful advice from anyone who has this heart disease? The med he had me on starys with a P, unfortunatally I threw it out so I don't recall the entire name, Awaiting another office visit, but in the meantime I thought I would check in here.

Have a great day.

Valued Contributor

Hi calcgirl ~  I also have Afib, but no sypmtoms at all.  Doc prescribed Pradaxa first, then switched me to Xarelto which he said was a better fit among other things. I've been taking it for 5 years with no side effects other than thinning hair (my opinion and it is listed as a side effect).

I didn't want to take Coumadin due to the inconvenience and Xarelto is $$$ but worth it to me.

Before I was diagnosed with Afib, I knew I had an irregular heartbeat, but never even heard of Afib. i see the Doc yearly now.  Wishing you well.

There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do.
Honored Contributor

I had a cryoablation in 2014 for a-fib.  I haven't had a problem since and all I take is a low dose aspirin every day.  Cryoablation freezes the cells in the heart that cause a-fib.  A lot of doctors use heat instead but mine used freezing.  I stayed in the hospital overnight and have been great since.  

My heart had to be shocked back into rhythm 3 times in the two years prior to my surgery and I had instances of a-fib almost daily.   Coughing and clearing my throat would often put it back in rhythm.  But since it happened so often, my cardiologist put me in touch with my heart surgeon.  

If it is happening to you every day, you're at a high risk for stroke.  I would find a cardiologist that does cryoablation if I were you.  You might have a wait to get in (I waited 3 months) but it is worth it.

Respected Contributor

I have an  A-fib diagnosis. It is not a regular thing and I take a low dose aspirin daily and I was on Metropol but it ramped up my asthma issues and made my hair fall out like crazy.. Now I take it as needed, which has not been but twice  this year.

Valued Contributor

Husband has it.  Takes Metoprolol 2x a day.  Baby aspirin 81 mg 3x a week.  All earlier blood thinners caused too many issues.  He was at the heart doctor this week.  Lisinipril did him in though, developed severe cough, runny nose, sneezing, diarreah.  Changed back to old bp meds and doctors are always amazed at his condition for his age.  But the Metoprolol helped his a-fib.

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl

Was it Propanolol (Inderol)?

I hope you feel better soon❤️

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

Friend of mine also had a procedure done to burn off the area where the A Fib was, I do think it was a success, almost 3 years ago. She still takes Pradaxa, and leads a very full life. It was just an overnite hospital stay.

Honored Contributor

Both my mom and MIL had A Fib, they both took a full aspirin daily and also took Amioderone.

Honored Contributor

My SIL has a-fib.  They could not control it with medication.  He had several cardioversions in the ER.  He has had two ablation procedures - the second one three months ago.  So far so good.

Honored Contributor

They kept my DH in the hospital for 3 days when he had his little stroke so they could monitor to see if he was in a fib. Never had any at all, but when he was in  this spring after a hemicolectomy - he had a lot of prematurte atrial contractions so his neuro doc still feels he probably has A fib sometimes.She has him on Plavix.