Super Contributor

I use and appreciate many kitchen appliances, and get teased about the number of them I have.

But when it comes to Cole slaw, I like making it from scratch and I like using a knife, not a grater, blender, food processor, etc. I don't know why but none of them give me the results/texture I like. What's that about?

So, I'd like to ask others who make their Cole slaw from scratch (no bagged product), how they prefer to do it, and why. TIA

Valued Contributor

Hi Beebee! Great question. I actually use my food processor shredding blade. It's just quick and uniform and I will admit I'm a little OCD. (Ok, a lot!)

Frequent Contributor

I prefer to use (and always have) a knife to hand cut things, like cabbage for coleslaw and potatoes for french fries. I honestly think things that are not precision-cut makes them more appetizing on the plate. Of course, this question now makes me want a veggie burger with coleslaw and fries, both hand cut/homemade.

Frequent Contributor

Like you, I use a knife most times. I slice the cabbage thinly (after washing of course) and then cut into smaller pieces. Then it goes in a bowl and I use a hand chopper (round with a handle and sharp edges) and cut until the cabbage is the size I want. From there, you can make the dressing anyway you want. Viola - cole slaw straight from the head without going through any mechanical process!

Honored Contributor

I'm ashamed to admit this, but I have never made coleslaw in my entire life. I bought a mandoline slicer from HSN for the sole purpose of making coleslaw. Yes, I have a food processor, yes, I'm pretty good with a knife. But maybe this small purchase will incentivize me to try it.

Honored Contributor

Knife.

Super Contributor

Hi Beebee,

When I make coleslaw, I first grate some white onion into a large bowl. Then I add about 3 heaping tbsp. full of salad dressing and mix that with the onion. Add salt and pepper to that mix. I prefer to use Spin Blend brand but I have used Miracle Whip or mayo, too. I like them all. Be careful not to add too much grated onion. We love it but I often have overdone. I think about 1 tbsp. grated is enough for most people.

I cut a medium size head of green cabbage in half and core it. I start cutting with a sharp knife with the cabbage laying on it's cut side down. Start at the nice green end and work towards the core end. I try to cut it 1/4" thick. When I have a good size pile, I cut across into short lengths or you could cut into really small bits like KFC uses. By cutting a large pile of slices, it doesn't take long to go through a half of the head. Then, I use my box grater, medium grate, to prepare 1 or 2 carrots for the slaw. I like it for the color and the taste. I sometimes have a small bag of red cabbage on hand to add a handful of that, too. I love coleslaw!!! and don't mind taking the time to make it slowly with a knife. At the end, taste for salt and pepper. Add more salad dressing as needed but don't overdo. It will get more wet when the cabbage releases its juices. This happens after the salt is added.

Why do I prefer to make it from scratch? I think it is because I can control everything from the ingredients to the texture and change things to please my own taste. Sometimes I make a mistake and add too much of something but I may be able to fix it. Or I just eat it the way it turns out and try not to make that mistake again. I make coleslaw about once a week because it goes with so many other foods. Also, I am more sure that it is fresh. The stuff in bags is convenient and I have used it but it is not as fresh and tasty as cutting the cabbage myself.

Frequent Contributor

I too love cole slaw. Always have used a knife. Green cabbage, red cabbage, carrot, mayo, white vinegar, sugar -- in descending order of amount of ingredient. Never measure. Just taste test until it's right. Comfort food.

Mine still isn't ever as good as Mom's was. Never have been able to figure out why, but it's still pretty good. Of course, we always ate hers in the summer at the picnic table on the patio with thick fresh watermelon slices and hamburgers hot off the grill.

Best tip I ever read: salt the dry cut cabbage generously and let it sit for an hour in a bowl then rinse really really well before you make the slaw. It cuts down on the water the cabbage releases when it's mixed with the other ingredients.

Honored Contributor

Marzetti's Slaw dressing and shredded cabbage! THE best cole slaw on the planet.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I cut the cabbage head into chunks, then chop with a hand chopper to the consistency I like. If the slaw is specifically for hot dogs, I use the grater, because I like for the slaw to have a much finer consistency.