Honored Contributor

I’ve done something to my knees. I have no idea what. I was taking a few exercise classes and they just, out of the blue, started to hurt.  The right knee is by far the worst of the two so I saw an orthopedic doctor two weeks ago and finally had an MRI of the right knee Monday. I get the results Friday morning. The day I saw the orthopedist, they sent me for an ultrasound on both legs to rule out blood clots. The ultrasound was fine. 

I’m seeing a podiatrist for an issue with my right foot (I’m an orthopedic wonder right now) and we were talking and he knows I’m having knee issues. Obviously, he doesn’t handle knee issues, but he thinks I might have a partial tear of my ACL. Gee I hope he’s wrong on that. 

I personally think the meniscus is torn. I had that before and the symptoms are similar. Either that or “runner’s knee”. There’s a fancier name for runner’s knee, but some of the symptoms I’m having are similar to that also.  I’m hoping it’s that if it has to be something. 

The left knee isn’t nearly as bad as the right. Hardly worth mentioning. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I’ve done something to my knees. I have no idea what. I was taking a few exercise classes and they just, out of the blue, started to hurt.  The right knee is by far the worst of the two so I saw an orthopedic doctor two weeks ago and finally had an MRI of the right knee Monday. I get the results Friday morning. The day I saw the orthopedist, they sent me for an ultrasound on both legs to rule out blood clots. The ultrasound was fine. 

I’m seeing a podiatrist for an issue with my right foot (I’m an orthopedic wonder right now) and we were talking and he knows I’m having knee issues. Obviously, he doesn’t handle knee issues, but he thinks I might have a partial tear of my ACL. Gee I hope he’s wrong on that. 

I personally think the meniscus is torn. I had that before and the symptoms are similar. Either that or “runner’s knee”. There’s a fancier name for runner’s knee, but some of the symptoms I’m having are similar to that also.  I’m hoping it’s that if it has to be something. 

The left knee isn’t nearly as bad as the right. Hardly worth mentioning. 

Hi G,

It seems we will both be getting MRI results.  Good luck and hope you are out of pain and healing from whatever ails you!  I have curnchy knees myself.  Blessings!!!

Trusted Contributor

I had a torn meniscus.  Knee was hurting when I was doing senior aerobics.  Had the surgery, then 6 months later I need a knee replacement.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh, sorry to hear you're still having knee problems.  Smiley Sad

I hope you don't need surgery.  Let us know when you get the results of the MRI.

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I hope you don't need surgery.  Let us know when you get the results of the MRI.

Thanks @Bri36.  I’m looking forward to finding out (hopefully) what the problem is. We’re scheduled to go out of town next week. Long drive. And I really don’t know that my right knee is up to it. It doesn’t like to be bent which is not good for a long car ride or....for sitting on the couch which for some reason is very painful. 

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Thanks @Bri36.  I’m looking forward to finding out (hopefully) what the problem is. We’re scheduled to go out of town next week. Long drive. And I really don’t know that my right knee is up to it. It doesn’t like to be bent which is not good for a long car ride or....for sitting on the couch which for some reason is very painful. 

@gidgetgh, is there some way you can sit safely in the back with your leg extended?  

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

@gidgetgh wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

@gidgetgh, is there some way you can sit safely in the back with your leg extended?  

@Bri36- I’m the driver. 

Respected Contributor

I was afraid of that  Smiley Sad

@gidgetgh

Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

I was afraid of that  Smiley Sad

@gidgetgh

@Bri36- I floated the idea to my husband yesterday that we leave a day early (Sunday) and drive part way so that we could miss Monday morning rush hour in both Atlanta and Birmingham and that it would also help my knee to break the drive up.  That didn’t go over so well, LOL, so I’m not bringing it up again till Saturday. 

And I think we both want to hear what the MRI results are. Who knows.  We might have to cancel the whole trip. Or maybe it’s just some inflammation. 

Honored Contributor

Got my MRI results today. As I suspected, torn meniscus, interior of my right knee. Have to have surgery.  They also reported some arthritis. 

I cancelled our trip out of town for Thanksgiving. The PA today told me she thought the drive would be too painful.  I’m very disappointed about our trip. First year we’ve ever tried to do something outside the norm for a holiday. 

The PA is right. The doctor’s office is 17 miles from our house and I only made it about half way there before my knee started hurting in the car.