Respected Contributor

UPDATE --ANYONE KNOW SOMEONE WHO BROKE THEIR KNEE CAP?

[ Edited ]

My DH fell last week in a restaurant's parking lot. He tripped over a chunk of ice that he obviously didn't see. The parking lot was not well lit. It took 3 guys to help him get up. He said right away I think I cracked my knee. Well being a man he thought he would be better in a couple days. Well that was not to be. Wed. he had x-rays and it showed he has a cracked knee cap and needs surgery. This was not going to heal on its own. 

I was wondering if anyone has done this and what all is involved. I know he will be in  a brace for 4-6 weeks and have  out patient therapy. Also this is usually a one day surgery, but with his other health issues he will be staying over night for a day or 2. 

I wish we would have stayed home. 2016 was not great and it looks like 2017 isn't going to be much better.

Please say a prayer for him.

Thank You.  I just want to Thank everyone for all their prayers and to let you know the surgery for my DH went well. He needed to stay over in the hospital for precautions. He begins his therapy today. I hope that goes well. Now it's up to the therapists to see when he can come home. He will be in the leg brace for approx. 4-6 weeks. I hope all goes well. Thanks Again.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE KNOW SOMEONE WHO BROKE THEIR KNEE CAP?

As a matter of fact I do know OF someone who broke their kneecap.  I understand it is very painful.  I'm about to undergo knee replacement but not because it's broken, mine is totally bone on bone with both knees.

I hope this coming year gets better for you.  Take care.

Respected Contributor

I don't have any info for you....but did want to say I'm so sorry and I said a prayer for your husband for a quick and pain free recovery.  Take care.  

Respected Contributor

Thank You @Annabellethecat66

I had total knee replacement 2 years ago and I know that was a tough one. Good Luck with your surgery and remember---do those exercises.  All will work out. It's just tough this time of year.

Frequent Contributor

Yes I have had a broken knee cap. Walking down hill on a concrete ,exposed rock driveway, pulling a large trash container on wheels carrying a large bag with 10 lb weights...I went straight down on right knee. Hard to believe it cracked my knee cap right?! Got in my car, drove to work.... Cracked it horizontally in the middle. Wore a full leg brace for the time recommended ( 8 weeks?) nothing else was torn it healed fine, no surgery recommended.  I was about 48 or so and in good health. Hope he heals quickly!  

Honored Contributor

I fell on the ice in fourth grade (many, many years ago) and there was a great deal of debate as to whether I broke my knee cap or not. As a younger person the x-rays at the time were inconclusive and there were no CAT scans or MRI's at the time. It took about six weeks for whatever happened to heal and that knee has been fine since. I was on crutches for those six weeks, but then it was fine afterwards.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

My husband did.

He was walking a job site, a raised floor in a computer room for the cables underneath and there was a hole in the floor that was not cordoned off, he fell through the hole.

The x-ray didn't show anything and by the time he was approved by Workers Comp for an MRI it had started to heal, so it was left alone.

It's been 8 years but it still bothers him in the cold or if he does a lot of up and down stairs or ladders.

Honored Contributor

@Leeny Thanks for your kind wishes.  The mind and body are crazy, aren't they?  Ha!  I live with so much pain now, arthritis everywhere, broke my back in 3 places (fractured) when I was 18 and never had trouble til about 15 years ago.  Between the arthritis, back and knees, I live in pain....boo hoo...

But (as usual) I drift off subject.  I was thinking that even though I know it isn't going to be easy, I'm looking forward to it because I know I'll be moving...in the right direction.  I guess maybe it's called 'elective' surgery (maybe not)...but as many here know, if you hurt bad enough you'll do what's necessary to help rid of the pain.

On the upside (I'm one of those glass 1/2 full people) I am lucky I live in a world where it's possible to get pain (and mobility) relief by an operation.

I'm also smart (?) enough to realize how lucky I am that I CAN get some relief by an operation.  As far as my back goes the Dr said "No operation yet to fix it", but that will come too.

Hope you have a safe New Year and I hope for you (as with everyone of my QVC friends) you have a wonderful year to come.  Annabelle/Linda

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66..good luck with your upcoming knee replacement surgery..I just passed the 8 month point with mine, & although I am not completely happy, it is great to be able to walk again pretty much pain free,not a fast speed, but good endurance..

my ortho reminds me it takes a full year for all the deep tissues to heal..I am waiting patiently 😊

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Leeny Thanks for your kind wishes.  The mind and body are crazy, aren't they?  Ha!  I live with so much pain now, arthritis everywhere, broke my back in 3 places (fractured) when I was 18 and never had trouble til about 15 years ago.  Between the arthritis, back and knees, I live in pain....boo hoo...

But (as usual) I drift off subject.  I was thinking that even though I know it isn't going to be easy, I'm looking forward to it because I know I'll be moving...in the right direction.  I guess maybe it's called 'elective' surgery (maybe not)...but as many here know, if you hurt bad enough you'll do what's necessary to help rid of the pain.

On the upside (I'm one of those glass 1/2 full people) I am lucky I live in a world where it's possible to get pain (and mobility) relief by an operation.

I'm also smart (?) enough to realize how lucky I am that I CAN get some relief by an operation.  As far as my back goes the Dr said "No operation yet to fix it", but that will come too.

Hope you have a safe New Year and I hope for you (as with everyone of my QVC friends) you have a wonderful year to come.  Annabelle/Linda

Thank You Annabellethecat

You will be glad when your surgery is over and you won't have that nagging pain you have now. No surgery is fun, but it will be so worth it. I am glad I had my knee replaced as I can now get down on the floor and play with my 3 year old grandson. That in itself was worth it. My knee joint was bone against bone. Cartliage was totally gone. 

You take care.