Honored Contributor

Re: The new study out yesterday about meats

We can eat all the processed meats and beef and charbroiled meat we want.....just do it knowing that your chances of cancer are greatly increased.  I don't know about other people but I've been reading about this for years; the studies are not new by any stretch.  The results have just been confirmed.  It's really just a matter of common sense I think.  I don't eat much red meat; when I do eat beef, it's in a stew or a stir fry.  I have fast food type of burger once or twice a year.   And even then, I only have it a a few times a month.  I don't eat sausages and luncheon meats.  I haven't for at least 10 years, perhaps longer.  That's when I first read studies suggesting that processed meats were carcinogenic.  And now it's confirmed.  I do occassionaly eat a chicken sausage that a local meat market makes themselves.  But just a handful of times a year.  I understand the importance of protein in our diets but I can get what my body needs from poultry, fish and beans and eggs.  I certainly don't need beef and sausage and salami.  Mercury is an issue with fish but certainly not ALL fish.  My feelings about carcinogenics is that there are things that I cannot avoid; like breathing.  I cannot control  air quality but I can control what I eat.  So, if avoiding beef and processed meats reduces my risk of cancer, even just a little.  I choose to do that.  What others choose to do us their business.   

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

We can eat all the processed meats and beef and charbroiled meat we want.....just do it knowing that your chances of cancer are greatly increased.  I don't know about other people but I've been reading about this for years; the studies are not new by any stretch.  The results have just been confirmed.  It's really just a matter of common sense I think.  I don't eat much red meat; when I do eat beef, it's in a stew or a stir fry.  I have fast food type of burger once or twice a year.   And even then, I only have it a a few times a month.  I don't eat sausages and luncheon meats.  I haven't for at least 10 years, perhaps longer.  That's when I first read studies suggesting that processed meats were carcinogenic.  And now it's confirmed.  I do occassionaly eat a chicken sausage that a local meat market makes themselves.  But just a handful of times a year.  I understand the importance of protein in our diets but I can get what my body needs from poultry, fish and beans and eggs.  I certainly don't need beef and sausage and salami.  Mercury is an issue with fish but certainly not ALL fish.  My feelings about carcinogenics is that there are things that I cannot avoid; like breathing.  I cannot control  air quality but I can control what I eat.  So, if avoiding beef and processed meats reduces my risk of cancer, even just a little.  I choose to do that.  What others choose to do us their business.   

A 1% increase from 5% to 6% is in no way "greatly increased."

Do whatever you want with your own diet, but please don't go around scaring others with misinformation.

Respected Contributor

The Washington Post today has what seems to be a fairly comprehensive and fair account of the "latest and greatest" old news about processed meats and meats cooked at high temperatures.  This is very old news to many people, but either the World Health Organization is  just  slow to catch on or is attempting a new educational campaign for those unfamiliar with the old warnings.  The fact that scientists still feel the need to study the subject is rather strange.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/10/26/hot-dogs-bacon-and-other-processed-meats-c...

Honored Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

My husband and Mother in law were Vegatarians before it was popular in the 50,S.  They both died of COLON CANCER, NEVER ATE MEAT, FISH OR FOWL.  THEY DID EAT LOTS OF CHEESE, BUTTER CREAMS. Go figure.

My Grandmother and Dad steak every night when I was growing up.  Some kind of meat. HAM, BACON, ETC.  NO CANCER.  

well alot of it also has to do with genetics and if there is a pre-disposition to cancer. And just because you are a vegetarian does not mean you are healthy! Exercise is also important and oddly enough, the vegetarians I know hardly exercise. I often wonder if they think eating that way is good enough. Even working hard on a farm or housecleaning daily is considered a form of exercise so all that factors in.

I have a friend who is a vegetarian and eats really well- very balanced and healthy. Funny thing is, when we were going to college together, she was always sick. She always caught every cold and they'd last forever. It just shows you that being vegetarian is not a panacea.

Respected Contributor

The Washington Post story referenced in my above post contains an amusing quote from a woman who was asked by a reporter  what she thought about the "news" regarding meats and cancer.  She said, "Life  causes cancer.  Life is terminal, isn't it?"

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

A 1% increase from 5% to 6% is in no way "greatly increased."

Do whatever you want with your own diet, but please don't go around scaring others with misinformation.

.....if we are talking about cancer.  You better believe an increase of 1% is big to me.  And I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so.  Relax.  No  one is taking your steaks away. 

Esteemed Contributor

In 1995, when my father was diagnosed with terminal gastric (stomach) cancer, we were told that research had shown that people who ate smoked meats and fish had higher rates of stomach cancer. When I was checked for gastric ulcers a couple of years later, my doctors told me to stay away from processed meats. I also learned that Japan and Norway, two countries where smoked fish formed a significant part of the diet, had some of the highest rates of stomach cancer in the world. They had embarked on a program of educating their people to avoid such foods.

So, for at least twenty years, the world has known about the potential problems with certain meats. However, eating them once in awhile will not kill you. As in everything else, moderation is the key. When I go to France for two weeks a year, I do eat their ham and lardons. It's a special treat. I don't eat that stuff at home. 

Honored Contributor

The VERY groovy looking doctor on ABC TV described the difference in the same terms as have been posted here- a difference of 1% added to the previos risk of 5% if one eats 2 strips of bacon every single day for a year.

I LOVE bacon and grilled red meat, not so much sausage or preserved foods, but have perhaps a single serving every 2 weeks or less.

We eat mostly chicken/fish. 

Honored Contributor

This type of information falls directly into the category of stuff I don't sweat over.  While I have been in charge of fueling my body for more than half my life, the other half of my life was spent eating what my family fed me.  All of our meat, poultry, eggs, dairy, vegetables and fruits were from the family farm.  Despite the fact that sounds healthy enough, pesticides were used heavily back then.  My grandpa hated any kind of insect; so he dusted the beans and potatoes with Sevin dust, sprayed the apple, cherry and peach trees, along with the grapevines, with malathion.  Even tho we supposedly knew to never eat a fruit without taking it in the kitchen to wash it with soap and water, I am sure we forgot that warning many times.   Both of my grandparents died from heart issues, as did one aunt and one uncle; my dad and three other siblings died from various cancers.   I know my inherited risks, am extremely diligent with my health screenings, and try to stay as healthy as I can.  However, whatever is lurking in my body from childhood exposure, has already long impacted my chemical makeup, and cannot be changed.  

Trusted Contributor