Respected Contributor

Re: The new study out yesterday about meats

We need to know the additives and processes that cause cancer.  The meat alone isn't carcinogenic. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I only buy nitrate-free bacon.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was wondering when someone would start a thread about the WHO study!  My plant-based FB/social groups are amused w/ the responses they are getting on their respective blogs/groups.  So many feathers are ruffled!

I've read through this thread & have a million different responses to counter each post.  I would...but I won't.  It's just too easy.

The WHO study & recommendations are a HUGE positive impact to the plant-based world.  It's a big coup.

We've caused so much damage w/ the amount of animal we have in our diet & everyday lives...it will take some time before changes are seen.  

The milk-dairy-meat industries have big/long claws in our lives...and very, very deep pockets.  Those guys won't go down without a long, expensive fight.

Times are a-changin', though.  It'll be slow, but I have hope.  I'm just amazed how quickly plant-based items have been accepted within the last 5-10 years.  It's only going to be even bigger 5-10 years from now.  

#GoPlantBased

Respected Contributor

The air we breathe also contains carcinogens.  The solution is simple:  If we don't breathe & eat, we'll be fine. As a previous poster noted, life is terminal.  That being the case, I will continue having the occasional hotdog at the family summer get-together, & bacon with my eggs every so often.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder what our earth and our dinner menus would look like if all diets become  completely plant-based, and all hunting, killing and eating animals of any type is outlawed or at least considered morally and nutritionally improper. 

Seems to me the vegetarians would have to worry about the animal population continually increasing to the point that the animals consume all the crops, leaving little for humans to eat.

Thanks to the pesky squirrels and the groundhogs that hang out in our neighborhood,  I cannot grow any vegetables of any kind.    I tried waging war on the groundhogs, who would  come and take a few bites out of every ripe tomato on our vines, but the groundhogs won, I lost, and the idea of growing food died for good.

Trusted Contributor

@novamc1 wrote:

I wonder what our earth and our dinner menus would look like if all diets become  completely plant-based, and all hunting, killing and eating animals of any type is outlawed or at least considered morally and nutritionally improper. 

Seems to me the vegetarians would have to worry about the animal population continually increasing to the point that the animals consume all the crops, leaving little for humans to eat.

Thanks to the pesky squirrels and the groundhogs that hang out in our neighborhood,  I cannot grow any vegetables of any kind.    I tried waging war on the groundhogs, who would  come and take a few bites out of every ripe tomato on our vines, but the groundhogs won, I lost, and the idea of growing food died for good.

Why don't you ask vegetarians what they would worry about, instead of guessing?

Honored Contributor

I hardly think a person has to "give everything up"............but there is such a thing as restraint, moderation...........common sense

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Somehow, vegetarians always get slammed whenever someone starts a thread about meat, fish or poultry.

They're always sick, they never exercise, they look weak.

If I wasn't so dammed pretty, I'd be insulted!

Respected Contributor

Vegetarians are free to eat as they please. I for one am sick and tired of these dubious studies that tell us we have to alter our lives. It's ironic when we have at the same time a group saying it's just hunky dory to smoke pot as if somehow magically the smoke from that isn't harmful to your lungs nor polluting the air around the smoker. 

Respected Contributor

This is not new information. We have been hearing about it for years. Everything is bad. Don't eat meat, don't eat dairy products, don't eat white pasta or rice, don't eat GMO's, don't eat anything that is fed antibiotics, fish has mercury, fruits and veges are sprayed with pesticides or have E-Coli, canned goods have BPA, don't eat foods stored or served in plastic or styrofoam, on and on and on.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.