Esteemed Contributor

I  have Shingles even though I have been vaccinated, so it is not severe. My question is, has anyone taken  anti viral pills?  If so did you have any bad reaction from it?

I hate taking pills, except vitamins. I know everyone different, but I would like to know any reactions?  

I'm holding off until Mothers Day to take, so I can go out to brunch.  ThanK you for any answers.

I was shocked thinking the vaccine would help me not get shingles.   Last year, I had covid on MD. Also vaccinated numerous times. It was not servere.  

Honored Contributor

Many times it's important anti-viral meds be taken within a specified time from the onset of the disease.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

It is my understanding that vaccines don't necessarily protect one from getting a disease but will lessen the intensity of it.  I had the Covid vaccines--3 of them--and still got it but nothing worse than a cold and it was over in a few days with no lasting effects.

I understand shingles can be very painful with long lasting consequences so if the vaccine prevents that from happening, it's worth it.  BTW, I did get the shingles vaccine years ago and hopefully will never get it.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50.  Are you aware a new shingles vaccine became available 5 or 6 years ago which is much more effective than the original?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

We got our shingles vaccines in 2021.  Some family members have had very bad cases of shingles.  Awful.  I hope we never get shingles, but hope the vaccine would lessen the severity of it if we do.  I think the only shot I still need is a pneumonia shot,oh and have to ask about RSV shot too.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qvcaddition,  while you are trying to decide whether to delay taking an anti-viral keep in mind that the shingles virus is currently active and replicating.  The longer it is allowed to replicate the more virus there is available to perhaps cause complications.

In other words would you rather start to kill 100,000 virus strands now or wait to medicate and try to kill 1,000,000?

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Shingrix is supposed to be over 90% effective as far as prevention. 

Honored Contributor

Shingrix effectiveness declines over time but the length of time that takes varies between individuals.

Trusted Contributor

@qvcaddition wrote:

I  have Shingles even though I have been vaccinated, so it is not severe. My question is, has anyone taken  anti viral pills?  If so did you have any bad reaction from it?

I hate taking pills, except vitamins. I know everyone different, but I would like to know any reactions?  

I'm holding off until Mothers Day to take, so I can go out to brunch.  ThanK you for any answers.

I was shocked thinking the vaccine would help me not get shingles.   Last year, I had covid on MD. Also vaccinated numerous times. It was not servere.  

Hi @qvcaddition ,

I'm really sorry that you  have Shingles.

Both the Covid vaccine and the Shingles vaccine are just supposed to make each virus less serious if you do get them. The shots are not preventative, meaning that you can still get the viruses. You're just not supposed to get as sick from the viruses because you got vaccinated. That's how the shots help.

Anyway, I did get a mild case of Shingles in June of last year.

I did take the generic version of an antiviral medication for Shingles. The name-brand is called Valtrex. I've taken it before for viral infections, and I've had no problems from it. 

It's usually best to start taking the antiviral medication as soon as you first have Shingles so that it can start working right away. The sooner you take it--within a few days of your Shingles showing up--the more helpful the medication is with your Shingles side-effects.

When I took the medication right away as soon as I knew that I had Shingles and was diagnosed with it by a doctor, it helped to slow the spread of the Shingles outbreak spots and its symptoms, like burning and itching.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm here watching "Wheel of Fortune"  and a Shingles Commercial came on. I can never look at those Commercials.

Got Shingles just before I was supposed to get my first vaccine. The Dr gave me the shot that same day and he prescribed Gaberpentin but I was alrady taking it for nerve pain and I believe that it helped a lot. There was nothing to it. I've heard people say that you should not take the shot while you have Shingles but I did.