Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

So shingles shot doesn't necessarily prevent shingles? Interesting that the shot if built up to be a preventive. People should be made aware that it doesn't always work. 

Probably better to get one, but just because one gets the shot doesn't mean they'll avoid shingles. 

@teganslaw 

There's no predicting individual immunities. 

I once got a flu shot and a few months later got a BAD case of the flu.  Sick in bed for almost 3 weeks.  Go figure.  

Valued Contributor

@lil sophie wrote:

I got the shingles shot both of them but a while afterwards I got a terrible case of Hives which now I think was a result of having that shingles shot.  I also got vertigo last month so I am not recommending getting the shingles shot to anyone.  

I read that a serious side effect of the shingles vaccine is anaphylaxis.  The symptoms are hives and dizziness. Hope you are feeling better.

Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

So shingles shot doesn't necessarily prevent shingles? Interesting that the shot if built up to be a preventive. People should be made aware that it doesn't always work. 

Probably better to get one, but just because one gets the shot doesn't mean they'll avoid shingles. 

No, the shots do not prevent you from getting shingles. They can just lessen the severity of the case of shingles that you'll get. 

I just went through a case of shingles back in June. 

At first I thought that I was breaking out in an allergic reaction from something, since I'm prone to that happening.

My skin was really itchy and I started to develop a hive-like rash. The rash kept breaking out, and it kept to the right side of my body.

This happened on a Thursday and evening and by the next morning I was thinking that it was shingles, due to the pattern of the rash. 

I ended up getting on an antiviral medication from our doctor's office and that kept it from spreading further.

It was a mild enough case of the shingles.

It took about 3 weeks before I felt better but I had a headache and an upset GI system, too.

Honored Contributor

@Toppers3 

You didn't mention ... had you gotten the shingles shots before the outbreak in June?

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Toppers3 

You didn't mention ... had you gotten the shingles shots before the outbreak in June?

No, I didn't.

I have the virus still active in my body anyway.

It shows up in my face and head at times as unresolved Bell's Palsy symptoms, too. I'll have symtoms reappear when I'm feeling particularly stressed or run-down/really tired.

Esteemed Contributor

@lil sophie wrote:

I got the shingles shot both of them but a while afterwards I got a terrible case of Hives which now I think was a result of having that shingles shot.  I also got vertigo last month so I am not recommending getting the shingles shot to anyone.  

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I'm very sensitive to any medication and if there is a side effect....I'll get it. I'm not a huge advocate of shots. If naturopathic care is in your vicinity, it's worth into looking how to safely detox it out of your system. I hope you feel better soon.