Honored Contributor

Please help me celebrate a wonderful life

by having your blood pressure checked regularly and knowing your risk for stroke, especially if you're over 55?

Honored Contributor

Re: Please help me celebrate a wonderful life

(((violann)), How thoughtful of you to think of others, especially when you're dealing with a painful loss right now.Heart  Thank you for this reminder.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann - God bless you, especially now when you need it most.  Heart

My DH and I have a home blood pressure monitor.  He takes BP medicine; I've always had normal to low BP, but I still check it regularly.

This is a good reminder to all.

(ETA:  It's standard practice now where we live for our eye doctor and dentist to check BP with each visit.)

Honored Contributor

I would add that everyone should familiarize her or himself with the signs of stroke or heart attack. I know several men who died alone or without saying something to the people nearby because they did not recognize they were having a heart attack.

Signs of Stroke from the CDC site:

Signs of Stroke in Men and Women

• Sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body.
  • Sudden confusion, trouble speaking, or difficulty understanding speech.
  • Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes.
  • Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance, or lack of coordination.
  • Sudden severe headache with no known cause.

Call 9-1-1 immediately if you or someone else has any of these symptoms.

Acting F.A.S.T. Is Key for Stroke

Acting F.A.S.T. can help stroke patients get the treatments they desperately need. The most effective stroke treatments are only available if the stroke is recognized and diagnosed within 3 hours of the first symptoms. Stroke patients may not be eligible for the most effective treatments if they don’t arrive at the hospital in time.

If you think someone may be having a stroke, act F.A.S.T.1 and do the following simple test:

F—Face: Ask the person to smile. Does one side of the face droop?
A—Arms:
Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
S—Speech:
Ask the person to repeat a simple phrase. Is their speech slurred or strange?
T—Time:
If you observe any of these signs, call 9-1-1 immediately.

Note the time when any symptoms first appear. Some treatments for stroke only work if given in the first 3 hours after symptoms appear. Do not drive to the hospital or let someone else drive you. Call an ambulance so that medical personnel can begin life-saving treatment on the way to the emergency room.

Signs of a Heart Attack from the American Heart Association:

Some heart attacks are sudden and intense — the "movie heart attack," where no one doubts what's happening. But most heart attacks start slowly, with mild pain or discomfort. Often people affected aren't sure what's wrong and wait too long before getting help. Here are signs that can mean a heart attack is happening:

• Chest discomfort. Most heart attacks involve discomfort in the center of the chest that lasts more than a few minutes, or that goes away and comes back. It can feel like uncomfortable pressure, squeezing, fullness or pain.
  • Discomfort in other areas of the upper body. Symptoms can include pain or discomfort in one or both arms, the back, neck, jaw or stomach.
  • Shortness of breath with or without chest discomfort.
  • Other signs may include breaking out in a cold sweat, nausea or lightheadedness.

As with men, women's most common heart attack symptom is chest pain or discomfort. But women are somewhat more likely than men to experience some of the other common symptoms, particularly shortness of breath, nausea/vomiting, and back or jaw pain. Learn about the warning signs of heart attack in women.

Learn the signs, but remember this: Even if you're not sure it's a heart attack, have it checked out. Minutes matter! Fast action can save lives — maybe your own. Don't wait - call 9-1-1 or your emergency response number. Watch this animation of a heart attack.

Calling 9-1-1 is almost always the fastest way to get lifesaving treatment. Emergency medical services (EMS) staff can begin treatment when they arrive — up to an hour sooner than if someone gets to the hospital by car. EMS staff are also trained to revive someone whose heart has stopped. Patients with chest pain who arrive by ambulance usually receive faster treatment at the hospital, too. It is best to call EMS for rapid transport to the emergency room.

And if you are able, I would encourage everyone to learn CPR. I've been certified multiiple times and used to be a CPR instructor, as well. It's a skill I am glad to have and pray I will never have to use.

Honored Contributor

ChynnaBlue, there is no possible way for me to thank you enough for your post.

I am grateful that there WAS family there and the transport to an excellent local medical center was quick. 

Everything that could possibly be done was done.

I will be keeping a copy of your post in my phone.

thank you all again.

Regular Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

(((violann)), How thoughtful of you to think of others, especially when you're dealing with a painful loss right now.Heart  Thank you for this reminder.

@dooBdoo

@violann

dooBdoo,

Stated so thoughtfully.

violann:  God Bless You.  Prayers and heavenly energy coming you way.

~Rebecca