Respected Contributor

Re: Need Help. Sinus pain and drainage.

I suffer from Chronic Sinusitis and I use a Netti Pot everyday but when I do get an infection they give me Septra and sometimes some Prednisone. The infection is miserable, for now try a warm moist facecloth laid across your eyes, tops of cheeks and nose. That will give you a little relief before you see the doctor.

Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 valleygirl22 said:MAYO CLINIC SAYS: IT'S FUNGUS! You need an antifungal, NOT an antibiotic. DO NOT get an antibiotic prescription, get a prescription for an antifungal. Start washing out your nostrils with a netti pot (use distilled water, NOT tap water).
This is a quote from Doug Kaufman of "Know the Cause": "In 1999, The Mayo Clinic announced that 96% of chronic sinus infections were due to fungus. What physicians didn’t know then and most still don’t know today is that the antibiotics they continue to prescribe for chronic sinus infections aren’t working because the germs they are trying to kill aren’t bacteria! They’re fungus! But the blame goes to the bacteria, rather than the prescription writer. Today, doctors continue to write antibiotic prescriptions for chronic sinusitis! We are led to believe that these bacteria are tricky little buggers and that they are outsmarting our strongest antibiotics. WRONG! Worse, if the germs being treated with antibiotics are fungal or yeast, the antibiotics serve to fuel the fungus. An acute fungal pneumonia, for example, treated with antibiotics might assure chronic pneumonia, because they are using the wrong drugs. Stronger and stronger antibiotics are used hoping to save the pneumonia patients life, when for many I believe that a round or two of antifungals would have sufficed."

With all due respect, this is old, inaccurate information. The report, "Role of Fungi in Allergic Fungal Sinusitis and Chronic Rhinosinusitis hinosinnsitis," in the May 2000 Mayo Clinic Proceedings discounted the studies and it appears so far none of the follow-up studies have supported the original claims that fungal infection is a major cause. If there are some (I did a cursory search, might have missed something), I'd be happy to read them. I mean no offense to you, but Kaufmann's not a good source for updated, solid medical information -- he's known more for promoting his products and services than for doing careful research or verifying his claims. However, as I said earlier, it is accurate that antibiotics are not appropriate for some sinus infections and are dangerously overused.

Current, updated Mayo Clinic information on causes, treatments, etc.:

Acute sinusitis... link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/acute-sinusitis/basics/definition/con-20020609

Chronic sinusitis: (duration at least eight weeks, despite treatment attempts)... link: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/chronic-sinusitis/basics/definition/con-20022039

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Trusted Contributor

As others have said, see a doctor or go to an urgent care. All of your symptoms could indicate any number of problems.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Honored Contributor

I agree, go immediately to your doctor or clinic. You need a professional to assess what is going on.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When mine is particularly bad, I also get Prednesone and Antibiotics (usually Augmenten).

As for fungus/bacteria, the way it was explained to me by my ENT is that that the lining and the mucus thicken and the prednesone is what helps with the inflammation and the antibiotics are what helps with the thickening.

My ENT has also done cultures when I've had a particularly long bout that doesn't seem to be responding to the antibiotics.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

For daytime, I like Advil Allergy/Sinus (the good stuff, behind the pharmacy counter), and for nighttime I like Alka Seltzer.

Respected Contributor

On 12/26/2014 GoodStuff said:
On 12/26/2014 dooBdoo said:
On 12/26/2014 GoodStuff said:

Another person expecting medical diagnosis and treatment from anonymous strangers on an internet board. For goodness sake; if you're sick and not getting any better, go and see a <em>doctor!!!</em>

GoodStuff, these threads bother me, too, even though I know posters mean well. Even when/if we can't get in quick contact with our personal physician's office, most people have a pharmacist who knows us, our history, etc., and they can provide far better answers than strangers on an internet forum.

Yes......the symptoms OP describes could be a cold, sinus infection, flu, any number of things. How in the world can a bunch of people reading internet posts know what kind of illness someone has and what they should do for it? No one here can prescribe medication like antibiotics that may be needed, either.

Isn't it wonderful that a Google search and a couple clicks of a mouse Can take the place of medical school and years of experience in medical practice?

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Respected Contributor

Hi, Didiville, I hope you are feeling at least a little better today. That you have sinus pain, drainage, and chills is a very good indication you should see a doctor, as others have recommended.

In addition, you should drink green and/or black tea if you are not on blood thinners (due to the high Vitamin K content in green tea), and perhaps even some hot soup, and fluids, in general. I have found that when I drink more fluids, I expel more fluids from my nose, when I am ill. I also use a Neti Pot with 1/4 teaspoon of salt and slightly warm distilled water when my sinuses are partially clogged. It is important not to use the Neti Pot if your sinuses are fully clogged and no air is getting in or out. Also, you must keep your mouth completely open when using the Neti Pot. To be honest, I hate using the Neti Pot, as I find it unpleasant to use, but I always feel so much better afterward. I make myself use it at the earliest sign of nasal congestion, before my sinuses can worsen and become more inflamed.

If your drainage is clear and colorless, you may have a rhinovirus or some other respiratory virus, but if it is yellow, orange, or green, you likely have a bacterial infection either alone, or as a co-infection.

A doctor can take a culture of your sinuses, and with any luck, can tell you exactly what pathogen is causing your problem. An infection that is causing sinus pain can be serious, so you may need some kind of medication.

I hope you feel 100% better soon!

Super Contributor

Of course you need to see your doctor, but I too appreciate the info suggested here. I'm going to check out Nell-Med. Never heard of that.

We have several medical professionals incl. MDs here that use the neti pot at the first sign of any sinus problems. I've been stuffed and feeling tense about not having clear breathing these past few days and get up and flush with the neti most nights, twice. Love the option of the neti pot! MD in the family does not use any drugs unless absolutely necessary, such as if that sinus trouble persists and becomes an infection, but usually the neti helps the body get through it naturally.

We both had what seemed like a touch of flu (no vomiting, but chills like you wouldn't believe) and took Advil for the joint pain. Again, we rarely take any pills, so when we do, maybe that's why they seem so effective. The Advil really was a pain relief, like magic. - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 The Bird said:

Of course you need to see your doctor, but I too appreciate the info suggested here. I'm going to check out Nell-Med. Never heard of that.

We have several medical professionals incl. MDs here that use the neti pot at the first sign of any sinus problems. I've been stuffed and feeling tense about not having clear breathing these past few days and get up and flush with the neti most nights, twice. Love the option of the neti pot! MD in the family does not use any drugs unless absolutely necessary, such as if that sinus trouble persists and becomes an infection, but usually the neti helps the body get through it naturally.

We both had what seemed like a touch of flu (no vomiting, but chills like you wouldn't believe) and took Advil for the joint pain. Again, we rarely take any pills, so when we do, maybe that's why they seem so effective. The Advil really was a pain relief, like magic. - Bird

The Bird! I miss 'talking' to you about diet & stuff!

Sorry you're sick! I've got a little bit of the upper respiratory stuff this year, as well....and I was so good about washing hands, etc. Every year this time I get it. I think I might be allergic to pine or something!!

When I saw this post, I JUST got an email from the NeilMed website w/ a 25% off-free shipping notification! I know you can buy the kit @ your local Walmart, but it's cheaper through the website...plus they have a cute docking station where you can store your saline packets.

I highly recommend the nasal rinse...especially the squeeze bottle versus the neti pot. Going forward, I'm going to make it a habit to rinse every day...especially during the allergy season before I see signs. Be proactive...it's natural...no harm, no foul! Here's the link to the website. Stay healthy, Girlie!!

NeilMed website...25% off